Johnny Nunez / Getty Images
After stirring up some debate by attempting to release his Carter 6 project before Lil Wayne could drop Tha Carter V, Young Thug has announced that he’s changing the title of his upcoming project to Barter 6.
"Can’t name the mixtape Carter 6 because these f—k ass n——s tryin’ to sue just like some hoes,” Thugger said in an Instagram video that was posted Monday (Apr. 13). "Big ol’ Blood so...Barter 6 on the f-ckin’ way.”
On Monday, the rapper also released a preview of the project, which you can watch below. Barter 6 is set to be released April 17, according to Thug's IG post caption.
So, How Did This Start?
Young Thug announced his early plans to release projects as part of Wayne's Carter series during an interview with MTV News in September. At the time, he said his titles would ultimately depend on Weezy. However, that appears to have changed.
Where Did Things Go Wrong?
Then, on April 9, Weezy appeared to comment on Thug’s Carter 6 plans. "I want y’all to do me a favor and stop listening to songs of n—as that pose naked on they motherf–king album cover,” Wayne told a Mississippi concert crowd. This was likely a reference to the album art Thugger released for his Carter 6 effort which featured him nude on the cover.
Thugger followed this up by saying that Weezy was frustrated with his career and that he would never beef with his idol, adding a taunting laugh before sticking his tongue out to the camera.
Why 'Barter 6?'
Many who have ties to the Bloods gang sometimes choose to change letters to Bs. It's certainly not unprecedented in rap. It's likely the same reason YG's 2014 track "Bicken Back Being Bool" is spelled the way it is. Thugger alluded to this with a Blood reference in the IG video he posted.
What Happened To Lil Wayne's 'Carter V'?
Well, Wayne’s long awaited Carter V album has been put on hold as Weezy and Cash Money Records attempt to settle an ongoing dispute that’s become public. After Wayne's Cash Money diss over "Future's" "F-ck Up Some Commas," it doesn't seem like they're anywhere close to a resolution.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023