Considering that "Pretty Little Liars" opens up with a casket, it’s no surprise that many characters have met their demise throughout the show’s six seasons. Whether they were fake-outs like Alison and Mona, real-deal deaths like Ian (twice), or questionable are-they-or-aren’t-they disappearances like Maya, there have been plenty of grave decisions on the teen drama.
As we finally head toward this season's big A reveal and the epic time jump for the Liars, let’s look back on the 10 characters who have died on "Pretty Little Liars," in order of axing.
Long before Alison came back from the dead, Ian did. Even though Ali pushed her former beau off the bell tower in the season 1 finale and he seemed like he was noosed by a rope, his body disappeared. Later, the Liars find him with a bloody head and a suicide note, but we don’t know exactly which way he died.
Maya St. Germain
In the season 2 finale, Maya was apparently murdered by Lyndon James, who was pretending to be her cousin, Nate. But we never saw a body, guys. Emily’s love is probably still around somewhere...
"Nate St. Germain" (aka Lyndon James)
Lyndon pretended to be Maya’s cousin Nate to get close to Emily, but he was really just Maya’s stalker. Em had to stab him after he chased her around and tried to kill her in a lighthouse.
The season 3 Halloween episode probably still gives you nightmares, because Garrett was killed by A and then Aria was trapped in a wooden box with his corpse. We’re all screaming forever.
Detective Darren Wilden
Wilden had a fake death in season 4,but we didn’t find out the truth until the season 5 premiere. (We’ll count it as both, OK?) To protect Ali, CeCe murdered him. That’s what friends are for, right?
Shana revealed she was part of the A team and was about to fire some shots at the Liars in NYC before Aria whacked her over the head and killed her. That tiny girl is mighty strong.
Psych! Alison wasn't really dead. She was just hiding out until season 5 after she was pulled out of a grave by Mrs. Grunwald. No big deal.
Bethany -- a patient from Radley -- was actually the girl in Ali’s grave, and she was buried alive by Melissa Hastings. Why, you ask? Oh, she just thought her sister Spencer accidentally killed Alison and she wanted to cover up for her.
Mrs. DiLaurentis was buried alive, just like her daughter, but we found out that someone gave her pills to stop her heart, too. Whodunnit is still the big question.
Mona faked her death in season 5, but we didn’t find out she was actually alive until the Liars ended up at Charles’ creepy dollhouse with her. She took vials upon vials of her own blood to splatter around the crime scene and was just going to flee, but then Charles got ahold of her. Classic double-crossing by A.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023