Nipsey Hussle turned a lot of heads with his Proud 2 Pay campaign last December, where he released his mixtape, Crenshaw, both as a free download online, and as hard copies for $100 a pop. And it worked, as the rapper sold out of the 1000 units (including 100 purchased by Jay Z).
On Thursday (Dec. 4), Nip announced on Instagram that he'll be at it again this month, with the release of Mailbox Money. Only this time, he's flipped the model a bit.
"There will only be 100 hard copies and they are $1000 each," he told MTV News, adding that it will also be released for free via iTunes and the Proud 2 Pay platform built for the Crenshaw release. "The 100 people that buy the P2P version will be granted access to a private advance listening session of [upcoming 2015 album] Victory Lap at the secret Marathon Store we are going to open the day of the listening!"
"I wanted to do something with no promo," he said of what he's calling the "album before the album" which is due out later this month.
"It's all original music. Being honest, these ain't mixtapes, they're albums. These original songs, concepts, the biggest producers, the biggest rappers in the game are a part of [it] and bringing creativity to [it]. I don't want to devalue it by calling it a mixtape. It's really just music -- more conversations for my people," Nip continued.
Among the big names on the project, he said Hit-Boy produced "something special," plus he has a record with DJ Mustard and also a joint with Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug, which he teased on Instagram on Thursday, called "Choke."
"Victory Lap is what it's all about, but I don't wanna starve my people," he said. "We got some big announcements, just as far as what the future holds, me as a businessman, me as an artist, what we gonna do with the next campaign. All that's gonna come after Mailbox Money."
Until then, gather your funds to get ready to show you're Proud 2 Pay.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023