The fall-out from the scandal involving "Twilight" star Kristen Stewart and her "Snow White and the Huntsman" director Rupert Sanders has mostly been personal up until this point.
But after reports surfaced earlier this week that Stewart had been dropped from a planned sequel to "Snow White," the studio behind the picture, Universal, weighed in on Tuesday and said the actress may still appear in the follow-up.
According to the Los Angeles Times, Universal has insisted that plans for a second film focusing on Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman character and Stewart's Snow White are proceeding apace.
Both Stewart, 22, and married father of two Sanders, 41, issued public apologies last month after pictures surfaced of the two kissing in public.
Universal said it has yet to settle on a writer or director for the second Huntsman movie, though first-time feature filmmaker Sanders is still on the list of possible candidates.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Hollywood Reporter touted an exclusive story claiming that Universal had decided to shelve plans for a "Snow White" sequel and instead focus on a solo Huntsman spin-off movie starring Hemsworth that would not involve the actress.
The trade magazine noted that it's unusual for studios to drop major stars of franchises between the first and second installments of film series, especially since Universal's original plan was to make two films with the Snow White character and then a third that would spin-off the Huntsman.
A spokesperson for Stewart could not be reached for comment at press time, while a Universal spokesperson told MTV News, "the studio is exploring options to continue the franchise and no decisions have been made."
While it's unclear if she'll double-down on Snow White, Stewart did drop out of the Nick Cassavetes film "Cali" in the wake of the scandal, while her spurned ex, Robert Pattinson, snagged a new gig on Tuesday when it was announced that he would star opposite Naomi Watts in Werner Herzog's literary biopic "Queen of the Desert."