If you haven't heard of the SlutWalk, chances are you might be a little put off by its name on first blush. But that jarring title effect is completely intentional, meant to drive home the deleterious impact of using the "s-word" in rape culture.
The event was originally launched in Toronto, Ontario in 2011 in response to a local police officer's statement to a group of female students that if they want to avoid sexual assault "women should avoid dressing like sluts." And now, Amber Rose is currently crowd-sourcing funds to put on her own 2015 event, which will be a Los Angeles-based version of the campaign to shut down the victim blame game.
While her stream of support has been steady over the course of the last few weeks since she initially launched the effort, she just got a major boost from none other than Nicki Minaj, a long-time vocal and lyrical champion for the freedom of female sexuality.
"Wow!!!! Somebody Loves Muva and totally gets the Movement!!!! Love u sis!!! @nickiminaj 😍😍😍😍😍" Rose wrote on Instagram, sharing a snapshot of Minaj's generous $5,000 contribution to the campaign.
Other well-known contributors to Rose's effort include Ne-Yo, singer-songwriter Jeffree Star, and music executive Sujit Kundu. The fund has now raised over $25,000 of the $45,000 sought to orchestrate the event, which is expected to offer HIV testing to attendees, along with sexual awareness booths and other vendors. The event will take place October 3 in Los Angeles.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023