Zayn Malik is out of One Direction and is feeling pretty good about it.
“I feel like I’m doing what’s right--– right by myself and right by the boys, so I feel good," he said.
So why, after five years and an enormous amount of success, would he want to give it all up and be a "normal 22-year-old"? Simple, he just wasn't happy.
"I did try to do something that I wasn't happy doing for a while, for the sake of maybe other people's happiness—and that was mainly the fans," he explained. "And I only ever tried to do it for the fans, and it was only ever for them. And, basically, I'm only upset I feel like I may have let them down in some sort of way. That's the main thing that I don't want to happen. It's not that I've turned my back on them or anything, it's just that I just can't do that anymore because it's not real to me."
"They’ve been cool about it. And they understand that, you know, it’s not real to me anymore," Zayn said. "They still want to do it for a while so they're going to carry on doing what they want to do and I think they are going to do OK for a while.”
Zayn, who said he doesn't know if he will ever return, did put those rumors to rest that he and fiancée Perrie Edwards have split after cheating accusations, telling The Sun that she's a "good girl" and also supports his decision.
So what's next for Zayn? Well, it seems like when he said he wanted to take some time out of the "spotlight" he didn't mean for all that long, saying that he is "going to write, relax and chill."
The singer was spotted heading to a London studio on Thursday and has been working on new music with producer Naughty Boy.
“I can’t deny the fact that we have made music together,” Naughty Boy, a.k.a. Shahid Khan, recently said. “Zayn is going to feature on my next album.”
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023