Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images
Hilary Duff admits that she's generally a happy person. But she's had a big year, and not everything has been roses and buttercups for the singer, who filed for divorce from hockey player Mike Comrie in February.
With a new album on the way and her TV show "Younger" making waves, it wasn't long before her personal life started showing up in her work. When Duff stopped by MTV, she told us how her upcoming LP will be about love, loss and Luca -- her 3-year-old son with Comrie.
"The album is a range of stuff -- I would say definitely in the beginning when I started writing, it was pretty heavy, coming out of my past year of -- life," she said, choosing her words carefully. "It's changed since then, which is good because I think that the overall theme too -- me, personally, I'm not this super heavy girl. You know? I'm one for the sunshine, so it's shifted a lot and it feels a lot better to me."
While the songs are genuine, they'll stay light and danceable, she said. So far, we've heard "Chasing The Sun," a carefree anthem for the summertime, and "All About You," an equally feel-good track with a country kick. Tomorrow, we'll hear "Sparks," a dancier song written by Tove Lo.
"There's a lot of dance -- but it is heartfelt," Hilary told us. "A lot of the songs are about love, a lot of them around about loss, one of them is about Luca. It's just more easy. It's not super heavy material. I'm excited for people to hear it. I'm excited about the place we got it to."
Duff revealed that the name of her song about Luca is "This Heart." However, there's no release date for the album yet.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023