Santana, Marc Anthony, Shakira, Maná, and Luis Miguel led all winners at the inaugural Latin Grammy Awards, held on Wednesday night at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and broadcast to more than 100 countries across the globe.
Mexican singer Luis Miguel and Dominican vocalist Juan Luis Guerra were each feted with three Latin Grammys as Miguel's "Amarte Es Un Placer" LP was named both Album Of The Year and Best Pop Album. Miguel also picked up a third honor for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for his "Tu Mirada" single.
Guerra won Latin Grammys for a pair of songs in different stylistic genres, as his "No Es Lo Mismo Ni Es Igual" won for Best Merengue Performance, while "El Niágara En Bicicleta" was selected as Best Tropical Song. Guerra rounded out the night with a technical award, Best Engineered Album, for his record "Ni Es Lo Mismo Ni Es Igual.
Guitarist Carlos Santana and Mexican band Maná shared a pair of awards for their
collaboration on "Corazón Espinado" from Santana's "Supernatural" album, winning Latin Grammys for Record Of The Year and Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal.
Aside from their joint efforts, Santana and Maná each received awards for their own individual work, as Santana's "El Farol" was selected as Best Pop Instrumental Performance, while Mana's "Se Me Olvidó Otra Vez" won in the category of Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal.
The evening's other big winners included Colombian pop diva Shakira, who took home a pair of Latin Grammys, and Marc Anthony, whose "Dímelo (I Need To Know)" won Song Of The Year. Anthony was unable to appear or perform at the event, as originally planned.
Other artists gracing the Staples Center for the multicultural awards show included 'NSYNC with Son By Four, Christina Aguilera, and Ricky Martin, who offered up a version of "Oye Como Va" by the late Mambo King, Tito Puente.
The complete list of winners from the First Annual Latin Grammy Awards:
- Record Of The Year: "Corazón Espinado" - Santana Featuring Maná
- Album Of The Year: "Amarte Es Un Placer" - Luis Miguel
- Song Of The Year: "Dímelo (I Need To Know)" - Marc Anthony
- Best New Artist: Ibrahim Ferrer
- Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: "Ojos Así" - Shakira
- Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: "Tu Mirada" - Luis Miguel
- Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal: "Se Me Olvidó Otra Vez" - Maná
- Best Pop Instrumental Performance: "El Farol" - Santana
- Best Pop Album: "Amarte Es Un Placer" - Luis Miguel
- Best Female Rock Vocal Performance: "Octavo Día" - Shakira
- Best Male Rock Vocal Performance: Al Lado Del Camino - Fito Páez
- Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal: "Corazón Espinado" - Santana Featuring Maná
- Best Rock Song: "Al Lado Del Camino" - Fito PManáez
- Best Rock Album: "Revés/Yo
Soy" - Café Tacuba
"Crooner" - Milton Nascimento
For more Grammy news, check out the [article id="1469939"]MTV News Grammy Archive[/article].