Kid Cudi hit such a creative stride when he began to work on his Satellite Flight EP, that he decided to just complete a full album instead. The LP will arrive in February, and the former G.O.O.D. Music rapper says it will bridge the gap between Indicud and his upcoming album Man on the Moon III.
We caught up with Cudi while the rapper was promoting "Need For Speed," which finds him starring alongside "Breaking Bad" star Aaron Paul, and asked him how exactly the project came to be. (A trailer for "Need for Speed" will air during Sunday night's Super Bowl.)
Back in October, Cudder announced that he would
"It was supposed to be this mini little thing for the fans and it ended up forming a life of its own," he told MTV News' Josh Horowitz. "I'm really excited because it's my best work and it's a surprise. People weren't really expecting it. I was just on fire creatively."
He added that the album will be the perfect bridge between his last full-length project and the third chapter in his Man on the Moon series. "I just know that people are really gonna love this music [because] it's perfect and brings them right back to the Man on the Moon theme," Cudi said.
"It starts where Indicud left off perfectly, and takes you right into MOTM III. It's like a TV show that ends with that cliffhanger. The album ends that way, where you get that one song and before you know it, the song is over and the album is over, but there's a 'to be continued...' There's more to the story."
"I kinda went director on this project," he added, poking fun at his love for stretching out the storyline across different albums. "I had the idea for the first and second [Man on the Moon] albums, with the whole five acts split. Man on the Moon III will go back to that whole breakdown and this comes back to that tradition, with the acts and everything being seamlessly in order."
The new project will be released in February, first to digital retailers. Cudi said that the physical copy might contain "deleted scenes" or "flashbacks," meaning tracks that he recorded previously but never released. He hasn't decided on an official drop date just yet.
And, don't expect to find any features from his G.O.O.D. Music family on the album. Cudi announced his split from Kanye's label last year to form his own imprint, called Wicked Awesome. "I'm completely separate from G.O.O.D. Music professionally," he said. "It's pretty much, wicked Awesome. That's what we're about."
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023