Meanwhile, out on the road, the band Matchbox 20 finds itself with a hit single, called "Push," and a problem, the song's lyrics, which have aroused feminist ire.
MTV: These should be the best of days for Matchbox 20. The band's debut album climbed to #11 on this week's Billboard chart and its latest single has achieved that much-desired state of crowd recognition. But with the song's popularity has come a certain backlash over its content.
ROB THOMAS: When "Push" first came out I got a lot of, I mean, like angry, angry women.
PAUL DOUCETTE (imitating angry women): "I want to talk to you!
THOMAS: "I want to talk to you about the lyrics to that song!
It's not about beating women, that's for sure. In fact, in the song I turned around the point of view on it. It was actually about a relationship that I was in and how I was being manipulated. It was all about emotional manipulation and emotional violence.
MTV: But "Push" is only the most
recent example in a long line of misinterpreted rock songs. Perhaps the most famous was Nirvana's "Rape Me." In 1993, the song caused considerable controversy before Kurt Cobain leapt to its defense.
KURT COBAIN: It's an anti-, let me repeat that, anti-rape song.
MTV: How much responsibility should a songwriter feel in such cases?
ROB: None. I mean, none at all. I don't think I should have to explain myself any more than if I were an accountant I should have to explain myself.
Matchbox 20, on tour now. Please don't hit them.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023