On Wednesday (July 6), a Reddit user relayed a surprising message: He had found an apparently abandoned Sufjan Stevens CD titled Stalker in a dumpster in Brooklyn's DUMBO neighborhood. Based on the CD's insert, which bears the copyright note "© 1998 Asthmatic Kitty Records," the user -- later revealed to be Texas musician Marc Rebillet -- surmised that "as far as I know, I don't think it's ever been released."
Is this a hoax on Rebillet's part? Some kind of viral marketing ploy to sell more Sufjan tickets, as Asthmatic Kitty's John Beeler theorized on Reddit? Who can say?
I used to work next door to Sufjan's studio in Brooklyn. One day, while he was renovating the place, he threw a bunch of stuff into the building's dumpster. I salvaged this...as far as I know, I don't think it's ever been released.
One thing is certain, though: If we're to believe that this dumpster is really a treasure trove of "[h]undreds, maybe thousands of CDs ... Seven Swans, The Age of Adz, Christmas albums, track stems from his mixes, dozens of copies of each," as Rebillet told Stereogum in an interesting interview on Thursday, then there's a chance the 48 lost Sufjan albums we really want to hear are buried in there, too. You know the ones.
1. Delaware: First (State in the Union) is the Worst
2. William Penn & His Woodland Creatures Invite You to Visit ... Pennsufvania
3. New Jersey, Land of Devils, I Am Sorry For Leaving You So Soon
4. Biting Into the Georgia Giant Peaches & Hoping For the Best
5. Connect, I Cut & the Tale of All My Steady Habits
6. Massachusetts, You'll Be a Commonwealth Soon
7. The New Adventures of Old Maryland, the Little America
8. Not Even the Ardent Rebels of South Carolina Could Break My Devotion For You, My Palmetto Love
9. In New Hampshire I Will Live Free or Die One Thousand Beautiful Deaths
10. Sic Semper Tyrannis, And Thus Always to the Old Dominion of Coastal Virginia
11. New York Episode V: The Empire State Strikes Back!
12. How I Long to Fly Over North Carolina As the Wright Brothers, Those Damned Fools, Once Did
13. Enlarged to Show Size: The Fiercest Tale of Fierce Rhode Island, the Ocean State
14. Ethan Allen & the Green Mountain Boys Will One Day Have Their Vermontazuma's Revenge
15. Amid Lands of Blue Grass & Sweet Revelry I Made a Quiet Home in Kentucky
16. Oh Tennessee, I Volunteer Myself to Thee Eternally
17. Sufjan Stevens Invites You to Say Oh, Hi-o! to Ohio, the Heart of It All
18. America Has Two Feet But Only One Wears the Mighty Boot That is Louisiana
19. For Those At a Dark Crossroads In Their Hearts, Indiana Is There As a Beacon
20. One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi, Four
21. Into Alabama, the Heart of Dixie & Belly of This Great National Whale, I Go
22. Down on Maine Street, It is Always Vacationland
23. There's No Need to Say You're Ssouri in Missouri
24. Ark Can Saw (Sure, Let's Do It Phonetically For a Change)
25. At the Foot of This Mighty Ocean, Sandy and Half-Buried, I Lift My Head and Turn My Clasped Eyes Toward the Florida Sunshine
26. If All Heavenly Bodies Are Big & Bright & Together, Why Is Texas (Still) the Lone Star?
27. Iowa, Giver of Corn and Heartland of Thumping Might, Pray For Us
28. All the Cheese of the Field Will Clap Their Hands: It's Wisconsin!
29. Sufjan Stevens's Great California Adventure, Or How to Stop Worrying & Love Long Lines
30. Minnesota, of the Cloudy Water I Gorge My Throat With Pure Songs to You
31. She Flies With Her Own Wings Into the Vast Treed Ground of Oregon
32. Out of Kansas, Into the Great Sunflower Fields of Mankind
33. Rolling Westward Through the Mountains Again, We Break Our Vows of Silence to Gape & Vocally Exhale at the Beauty of West Virginia
34. Nevada, Or Onto the Crimson Roulette Wheels of Fate I Toss My Life at the Foot of the Great Neon Beast
35. Not the Bruce Springsteen Album Nor the Academy Award–Nominated Bruce Dern Film But Rather an Album of My Own Making, Nebraska
36. One Hundred Years in the Making, Colorado Surges Into Our Collective Veins Like Raw Sugar
37. Dakota, Part One: Looking North as the Sky Dances Down in Single Drops, Lightly Pelting Our Coats
38. Dakota, Part Two: Sliding Southbound Into the Bloodless Eyes of Four Stone Gods
39. More Songs About Montanas and Food
40. General Washington Walks West and We All Follow
41. Let Our Love Be Perpetual in the Bright Mercy of Every Shimmering Gemstone in Idaho
42. Them Cheyenne Cowboys Never Did Make It As Far As They'd Hoped: A Wyoming Short Story
43. In Utah, Land of Salt & Devotion, I Listen As the Wind Rattles the Absent Sea
44. Out of the Geographical Frying Pan & Into the Metaphorical Fire Sings Oklahoma
45. New Mexico, Enchanted Land, I Have Given You All My Soul, Now Howl With All Your Strength With Me Into the Night
46. Here We Are Once Again in the Deserts of Arizona, Where God Enriches, Softly Crying But Stronger Than Ever Before
47. North: The Ghost of Chris McCandless & Sarah Palin Slow Dance Atop the Largest Alaskan Glacier on Planet Earth
48. Enjoy Your Aloha (Hawaii)