Nightclub Where Proof Died Closes Its Doors

CCC will shut down for one year, pay fines for operating illegally.

The Detroit club where D12 rapper Proof was shot and killed in a fight with Army veteran Keith Bender Jr. will close its doors for a year and owners will pay fines for operating illegally after hours under an agreement reached with the local prosecutor, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Proof, 32, was shot three times in the head and chest during a fight at the CCC nightclub at 4:30 a.m. on April 11, more than two hours after the club was required to close (see "D12's Proof Shot And Killed At Detroit Club"). Before being shot, police say Proof (born Deshaun Holton) pistol whipped and shot 35-year-old Bender, an Operation Desert Storm veteran who had just returned from duty; Bender died a week later from his injuries (see "Man Allegedly Shot By D12's Proof Dies").

Prosecutor Kym Worthy sued CCC owners in Wayne County Circuit Court last month, calling the club a nuisance and citing other violent outbreaks and liquor violations over the past two years, the Free Press reported. A hearing on that lawsuit was scheduled for Thursday, where both sides are slated to announce the settlement to close the club for a year and Judge William Giovan is expected to set the amount of fines the club will pay for the violations.

The state law for a nuisance violation only permits closure of a building for a year. "We got everything we could under the law, and we got it very quickly," Worthy told the paper. "We have learned from the untimely death of Keith Bender and Deshaun Holton that these clubs are not only dangerous to the patrons, but present serious quality-of-life issues for the law-abiding citizens that live near them."

The agreement calls for the club owners to pay for new locks, turn the keys over to the prosecutor's office and maintain the property and keep insurance and property taxes current. If the terms aren't met, the prosecutor's office can ask for permanent closure.

Members of Bender's family told the paper they were disappointed that the club could not be permanently closed. The club's owner would not comment to the Free Press on the closure.