Juvenile Hit With $4 Million Suit Over Bottle Incident

Miami man injured in March melee says he suffers post-traumatic epilepsy.

A Miami man who Juvenile allegedly knocked out with a champagne bottle is suing the rapper for more than $4 million in damages.

Jackson Saintagne, 28, has been hospitalized multiple times since the incident, and his doctor has diagnosed him with post-traumatic epilepsy, his attorney, Andrew Boros, said.

"Evidently [Juvenile] is trying to project this image as a bad, violent thug guy, and it was at my client's expense," Boros said Tuesday (June 26). "His life will never be the same; he will require monitoring and medication for the rest of his life."

Miami police said Juvenile (born Terius Gray) caused serious injuries to Saintagne's head when he struck him with a bottle of Moet during a melee at a shopping complex on March 28 (see "Juvenile Arrested After Fight In Mall").

Saintagne's suit, filed in Miami-Dade County Circuit Court last week, goes on to claim that Juvenile continued to kick him in the head as he lay unconscious on the ground.

Juvenile, 26, has pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated battery with a bottle, battery on a police officer, two counts of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest without violence (see "Juvenile Pleads Not Guilty In Champagne Bottle Battery").

Juvenile's attorney, Morton Fry, said he could not comment on the details of the suit because he has not yet reviewed it.

"Juvenile believes his innocence will be shown," Fry said. "It is a shame that when a crime occurs [with a celebrity nearby], there is an immediate civil action asking for a large amount of money. There apparently was a large altercation involving an awful lot of people, a lot of confusion, and we're sorry that someone was injured and that someone thinks we did it."

Witnesses told police that Saintagne approached Juvenile inside the mall's Improv Comedy Club and dissed the rapper. Boros claims the two had no interaction prior to the melee, insisting that the Cash Money MC must have mistaken Saintagne for someone else.

Saintagne, who manages a local nightclub, was taken to Mercy Hospital, where he was treated and released, police said.

Boros said Saintagne had to return for additional treatment and medication the following day and suffered a seizure about a month later, which led to four more days in the hospital. Another seizure occurred about a month after that, followed by a three-day hospital stay, the lawyer said. A neurologist then diagnosed Saintagne with post-traumatic epilepsy, the suit says.

Juvenile will release his fourth solo LP, Project English, on August 28.