For years, Martha Stewart has offered menu and décor tips for fabulous outdoor parties and barbecues. Now she's providing a play list.
And judging by the selections on Martha Stewart Living: Summer Entertaining, due June 5, one might think it's not just pies getting baked at her backyard bashes. The disc includes smooth-groovin' songs by the Doobie Brothers, Donovan, Paul Simon and the Young Rascals, as well as soulful classics by Smokey Robinson, War, the Drifters and Manhattan Transfer. Stewart even gets a little fringey with cuts by Victoria Williams, k.d. lang and Bebel Gilberto, daughter of bossa nova innovator Joao Gilberto.
Summer Entertaining is the second offering in the Martha Stewart Living series. Last year she released Spooky Sounds for Halloween, a disc of rattling chains, barking dogs, beating hearts, bloodcurdling screams and other scary sounds.
But her record industry career isn't something new. In 1990 Stewart wrote the liner notes for Dinner for Two, a classical album featuring the works of Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Liszt and others. And between 1968 and 1979, she contributed backing vocals on no less than six albums, including Frank Sinatra's Trilogy.
The complete track listing for Martha Stewart Living: Summer Entertaining:
- k.d. lang - "Summerfling"
- Donovan - "Sunshine Superman"
- The Young Rascals - "Groovin'"
- Bebel Gilberto - "So Nice (Summer Samba)"
- Paul Simon - "The Coast"
- War - "Summer"
- Dionne Warwick - "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?"
- The Doobie Brothers - "Sweet Feelin'"
- Manhattan Transfer - "Soul Food to Go (Sina)"
- Smokey Robinson - "Cruisin'"
- King Harvest - "Dancing in the Moonlight"
- Marshall Crenshaw - "Starless Summer Sky"
- Victoria Williams - "Water to Drink"
- The Drifters - "Under the Boardwalk"