"Pacific Rim" is a rarity among this summer's blockbusters in that it's completely original, based solely on the imagination of its creators. But that also means that it has more work to do -- especially if it's successful.
If it's a hit, audiences will likely demand a sequel. But given its monsters-versus-robots set-up, a follow-up doesn't sound too difficult to imagine. In fact, the film's co-writer and director Guillermo del Toro already has a few ideas for a follow-up, and when MTV News caught up with him, he detailed what exactly he has in mind.
"I'll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure," del Toro told MTV News, referring to one of the many giant robots that fight monsters. "We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you're gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special."
Following the adventures of human soldiers who pilot giant robots called jaegers to fight against undersea monsters called Kaiju, the film climaxes with an enormous showdown underwater as the last remaining robots fight to close a portal between our world and the one from which the monsters emerge. Del Toro said that if nothing else, this epic showdown produced a few promising ideas about how to further explore this larger-than-life world and push its mythology into new territory.
"Just think about it for a second," del Toro explained. "We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there." Referring to "drifting," the psychological process through which jaeger pilots team up with each other to maneuver their giant machines, he highlighted another plot point that might come into play in a sequel.
"We've drifted with a Kaiju brain," he observed ."Well, then start riffing on that and you'll get to something."
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023