Turns out Hermione Granger doesn't need a Time-Turner to meet her future (er, past?) self. This week, the stars aligned, just as Professor Trelawney said they would, and two Hermiones met each other for the first time. Emma Watson caught a Wednesday showing of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts 1 and 2 and hung out with her future counterpart, Noma Dumezweni, backstage at the Palace Theatre in London's West End.
Watson was so enamored with Dumezweni's performance in Cursed Child, she called the emotional experience "immensely comforting" on Facebook. "Meeting Noma and seeing her on stage was like meeting my older self and have her tell me everything was going to be alright," she added. "Noma was everything I could ever hope she would be. She's wonderful."
Hence this truly affecting backstage meet-cute:
The magical moment was captured in a series of adorable photos — sadly, Muggle cameras have yet to perfect the whole moving images thing — and my inner Harry Potter fangirl has a lot of questions. Mainly, why wasn't I invited to witness this beautiful moment in history? But here are some other, more "substantial" queries:
1. Who cried first: Emma Watson or Noma Dumezweni?
2. Was this Emma's crying face? Be honest.
3. Is there a Secret Hermione Handshake we should know about?
4. Obviously, she's partial to Hermione, but is Emma's favorite Cursed Child character Scorpius? Because everyone loves Scorpius Malfoy. That is a fact.
4. Do we think Emma ships Albus and Scorpius like the rest of the internet?
5. What did Emma really think about that [REDACTED] twist?
6. Does Noma listen to any hype music before going on stage?
7. If so, what does she listen to? The Weird Sisters' greatest hits collection?
8. Which Hogwarts house would Noma be sorted into? I think Gryffindor.
9. But she'd also make a wonderful Ravenclaw, don't you think?
10. Did Emma text Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint immediately to tell them about the play?
11. Omg do we think Emma, Dan, and Rupert are all on a group message together?
12. Does anyone even know where Rupert is these days?
13. Does he still own that ice cream truck?
14. But I digress. Will Emma's glowing review convince DanRad to see Cursed Child? He said he was concerned about attracting too much attention, but things seemed to go smoothly for Emma.
15. When Noma hugged Emma, how many House Elves were freed?
16. Do we think the Hermiones talked about Won-Won behind his back?
17. Now that they've met, how long until Noma and Emma say incendio to the patriarchy and burn it all down? (I'm patiently waiting.)