If you're a Call of Duty fanatic, then you probably have spent countless more hours inside the multiplayer than you ever did in the campaign. Multiplayer is the bread and butter of the Call of Duty franchise, and Activision and Infinity Ward both understand that. Which is why the two companies hosted a massive global reveal of the multiplayer mode for "Call of Duty: Ghosts" in downtown Los Angeles, complete with fanfare, pulsing music, and best of all, juicy details.
The old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is used a lot in the video game world, where it sometimes just seems like the publishers simply slap a new number on the box before shipping out a sequel. But as Call of Duty moves onto the current-gen and the next-gen simultaneously, Infinity Ward has actually gone inside and made some major changes to the multiplayer that they pioneered in "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare." Here's a list of the best things we learned that will be coming to this fragfest.
11. Yes, the dog is in the multiplayer. You can call Riley in, and can attack enemies and scout ahead.
10. Speaking of killstreaks, there are 20 new ones, including one called "Odin Strike" that flash-bakes your enemies into ash. Or, you can sit in a helicopter with a high-powered sniper rifle and pick off opponents.
9. Deathstreaks are gone!
8. 30 new weapons, including a new weapon class, "Marksman Rifles" that can switch between sniper rifles and iron sight assault rifles.
7. The AI in the game has been completely revamped: the new AI will drop-shot, corner camp, and more.
6. You can now lean, knee-slide, and smoothly mantle throughout the game.
5. More perks than ever before in a CoD game, and a new way to choose them. You have a bank of points to work with, and perks cost points.
4. Some of the elements of the environment can be destroyed. We saw a bus get knocked off a cliff with a player inside, and a gas station explode.
3. Seven new game modes, including one called Cranked, where you get faster with each kill, but you gain a countdown clock. You have to keep getting kills to keep the clock going, or else you explode.
2. Over 20,000 possible customization possibilities as you create a soldier, which replaces create a class. You can create a squad of up to ten soldiers, each with their own XP, prestige, loadouts, etc.
1. You can finally play as a female soldier.
Bonus: The game was introduced with a brand-new Eminem song that isn't out yet. And holy balls... launch events are LOUD.
There's a lot more to come, and we're about to go play the game for six hours, or until our brains explode. Whichever comes first. Stay tuned for plenty more details!