The most memorable movie lines require three things: They must sound like something a real person (or at least the character uttering them) would, you know, actually say; they must be smarter, funnier and snappier than what a real person would actually say (this sounds like it would contradict the first point, but it doesn’t); and they must have a great actor to give them a great delivery. It’s a delicate balance, and one that takes both skill — and a tiny bit of luck — to achieve.
This year was packed with plenty of ear-pleasing, intensely quotable movie quotes, ranging from the highbrow (“The Social Network” and “True Grit“) to the not-so-highbrow (“The Other Guys” and “Machete“). Some movies — here’s looking at you, “Social Network” — were so full of amazing one-liners and witty exchanges that I could have made a top 10 list just drawing from them. But in the interest of fairness, I’ll stick to one awesome line per movie. Below, take a look at my picks for the 10 best movie quotes of 2010, then hit the comments to share your own favorites!
10. “Machete don’t text.” — machete-wielding but cell phone-averse Machete (Danny Trejo) in “Machete”
9. “You used to be much more…’muchier.’ You’ve lost your muchness.” — The Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp) commenting on Alice’s (Mia Wasikowska) loss of imagination in “Alice in Wonderland”
8. “You mustn’t be afraid to dream bigger, darling.” — Eames (Tom Hardy), pulling out a gigantic machine gun that dwarfs Arthur’s (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) tiny firearm — within a dream, of course — in “Inception”
7. “I want one.” — Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), echoing moviegoers’ sentiments exactly, when he’s first introduced to Natalie Rushman/Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson in “Iron Man 2”
6. “That’s so funny! My dad would never do that, he loved me!” — Ethan Tremblay (Zach Galifianakis) responding to Peter Highman’s (Robert Downey Jr.) heart-wrenching story about how his dad abandoned him when he was a kid, in “Due Date”
5. “You’re really ruining my Zen thing, man.” — Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), apparently channeling his “Big Lebowski” alter-ego Dude, in “Tron: Legacy”
4. “I thought you were gonna say the sun was in your eyes… that is to say, your eye.” — LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) to one-eyed Rooster Cogburn after Cogburn tries — and failed — to shoot a glass bottle, in “True Grit”
3. “You just contact the mayor’s office. He has a special signal he shines in the sky; it’s in the shape of a giant c***.” — Hit Girl (Chloe Moretz) on how Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass can contact her in “Kick-Ass”
2. “This meal is terrible… it tastes like roasted dog asshole. I asked myself, ’Who would slow roast a dog’s asshole and feed it to me?’ You would.” — Allen Gamble (Will Ferrell) to his sorely unappreciated wife Sheila (Eva Mendes) in “The Other Guys”
1. “You are probably going to be a very successful computer person. But you’re going to go through life thinking that girls don’t like you because you’re a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won’t be true. It’ll be because you’re an asshole. ” — Erica Albright (Rooney Mara) not pulling any punches while breaking up with Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg), in “The Social Network”
What were your favorite movie quotes of 2010? Share ’em in the comments!