In order to appropriately celebrate her birthday, we figured we'd honor a style staple that's been close to Gwen's heart for years, and is, no doubt (heh), her signature look. We're talking about red lipstick, of course. Below are 45 photos of Gwen in red lipstick—one for every year she's been blessing this planet with her existence. While shades and application may vary slightly over the years, there's always one thing that's consistent: Homegirl looks good in red.
1. Look at this fresh-faced bb.
The year was 1996, and baby Gwen was just starting to experiment with bindis. Also look at that perfect lipstick application.
2. Like to dress in all black? Why not steal a page out of Gwen's playbook and add a pop of color?
Like she did at the 47th Annual GRAMMY Awards in 2005.
3. We've always loved Gwen in a proper quiff.
And red lip, of course.
4. Gwen's all-white outfit at the 2001 Billboard Music Awards is the perfect canvas.
To showcase her crimson lips.
5. That lipstick is fresh to death.
Also, make your peace with Gwen's strawberry blonde hair at the 8th Annual Billboard Music Awards in '97. It'll be the last time you'll see her with hair this dark.
6. Even while dog walking in London, Gwen manages to look supes glamorous.
It's probably the pout.
7. Gwen Stefani, Patron Saint of Exposed Bra Straps
Otherwise known as the Lady of Red Lipstick.
8. Dark liner and a bright base.
What would you wear to introduce The Police during The 18th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony?
9. The dream of the '90s is alive in Gwen's perfectly precise pucker.
Um, looks like someone's flirting with the dark side with some supes dark lipliner at the 2001 VH1 Vogue Fashion Awards.
10. Gwen managed to coordinate her lipstick to her bindi.
We're into it.
11. I personally love it when Gwen goes a little darker with her shades of lipstick.
Might be the high contrast.
12. Gwen's red lipstick at the 2005 MTV Video Music Awards.
We salute you.
13. Gene Harlow, anyone?
Gwen's mastery of old-school looks, such as these loose, pinbacked curls and red lip, might've led to her being cast as the icon in The Aviator!
14. Um, this might be the cutest picture of Gwen and her lipstick.
15. Thank you rhinestone encrusted halter top.
For throwing some extra light on Gwen's glossy, candle apple red lipstick at the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards.
16. Other things to match our red lipstick with: a red plaid ascot.
17. Maybe we should start wearing flowers in her hair with our red lip?
Whaddaya think, Gwen?
18. Even her clothes and accessories know to bow down.
Those concentric curves on Gwen's tank and necklace just led you into staring at her red lipstick, right?
19. Fashun week in Paris is always a good excuse for a red lip.
Not that she ever needs one.
20. Hey, solid matte lip!
You look good on Gwen Stefani during The 48th Annual GRAMMY Awards.
21. Matching red lipstick and sunglasses?
We're copping this look for later.
22. Sometimes Gwen coordinates her lipstick to her halter tops.
Like she did at the My VH-1 Music Awards 2001.
23. Channeling Gidget with a red lip.
At the Anchorman The Legend of Ron Burgundy.
24. Um, Gwen, what color is that?
And how does it stay so glossy?
25. The hair is very Debbie Harry.
But the red lip is pure Gwen.
26. Are we seeing double?
Nope, it's just Gwen and her wax doppleganger at Madame Tussauds Las Vegas. Both of them are wearing red lipstick of course.
27. Louis Vuitton, a red lip and a matching flower in her hair.
What Gwen Stefani wore to the 2004 MTV Video Music Awards.
28. Yeah Gwen, we see you pointing at your red lip.
Nice mani, bb btw.
29. The rise of Harajuku Gwen meant hair accessories that matched her lipstick.
For example, this moment.
30. But not always.
Sometimes a little contrast is nice!
31. But kind of sometimes.
We can't decide which we like best!
32. We could talk about how cute those pigtails are at the 2001 MTV Movie Awards.
If we weren't distracted by the shine from Gwen's diamond necklace and lipstick.
33. Who loves red lipstick?
Young Hollywood does! Also, everyone.
34. In case you've forgotten that Gwen's from Cali, peep this West Coast-flavored look from 2005.
Accompanied by a red lip, natch.
35. The best part of wearing red lipstick?
You can look slightly undone and still look incredible polished.
36. If we had completely mastered the art of the red lip as well as Gwen...
We'd be constantly smiling, too.
37. Red jeweled pendant? Check.
Red lipstick? Double check.
38. Stefani's look here was part Hitchock blonde, part Basic Instict.
And 100% a great look to complement her red lipstick.
39. Gwen changes it up by going red-orange.
At the Stuff Magazine and Virgin Mobile VMA Party.
40. Even Rasta Gwen wouldn't leave the house and attend a press conference without a tube of red lipstick.
It's always there!
41. Wait, is THIS the cutest photo of Gwen in red lipstick ever?
42. Yeah, girl.
We see you pointing out your red lip on the "Today" show.
43. Red in your jumpsuit?
Red on your lips.
44. What to wear at the 33rd Annual Kennedy Center Honors?
How about a big 'ol bouffant and a red lip?
45. Let's just end with this.
Gwen Stefani, babe of all time. Master of Red Lipstick.