You might've heard the term "basic" floating around the Internet lately -- probably used in a sentence with the words "white girl," "fall" or "biddy." I don't know. You didn't hear it from me.
Urban Dictionary defines "basic girl" as "She is your run of the mill white girl that has no identity of her own. She has no redeeming unique qualities...think of her as being like a cracker-jack house in a middle class neighborhood. Whatever is popular, she is into it whether she likes it or not personally." Yikes. Women of the world, I'm here to set the record straight. According to science, you're not basic. Thank you, pH scale.
Love pumpkin? PSL? Yoga? Spin class? Decorating your oatmeal? Wearing sweaters with foxes on them? Nail art? Tailgating at Eric Church concerts? Well, don't worry, women of the world who like enjoyable things -- you're not basic.
Ask any scientist, and they'll tell you that being basic only means that you fall above a 7 on the pH scale. Anything lower than that is acidic. And you definitely don't want to be acid.
Here are 17 scientific reasons why you might actually be basic.
1. You tend to lean toward the right.
2. You are laundry detergent.
3. You're all about that, all about that alkalinity.
4. What stinks? You are ammonia.
5. You're a 10 -- on the pH scale.
6. You horde hydroxide ions for yourself.
7. You love egg whites. I'm looking at you, girl who ate an omelet this morning.
8. You're an oven cleaner.
9. Whenever you clash with an opposite personality, you become neutral.
10. You're soil that's been over-limed. So much for that green thumb...
11. You aren't a corrosive acid. NICE.
12. But you can still cause severe burns. HIGH FIVE.
13. Yikes! You need to watch your sodium.
14. You're baking soda.
15. You're bleach.
16. You're "forming or relating to the most important part of something," according to Merriam-Webster.
17. You are a John Travolta movie.