MTV’s resident digital sleuth, who himself has experienced the sting of being duped by an online liar, is just steps away from releasing his very first book, “In Real Life.” The work, which covers everything from cultivating an authentic relationship on the World Wide Web to rules for a successful “digital detox,” is officially on sale September 2. But we’ve got a little preview.
Below, from the chapter “Less Is More,” Nev urges readers to take their time in getting to know a date — and advises against running straight to the sext. Check it out, hold tight for “In Real Life” (you can pre-order on Nev’s website) and stay tuned for Nev’s interview with MTV News! Here’s the excerpt:
Guys, if you really want to impress a girl and tell her that you like her, here are a few things that are far superior to that junk shot you were considering:
• Give her an actual handwritten love note.
• Buy or hand‑pick flowers and leave them on her doorstep.
• Buy her an iTunes movie rental and invite her to watch it with you.
• Make her a personalized Spotify radio station.
• Send a cool picture you took of something besides yourself.
• Show up outside her dorm with a boom box on your shoulders.
Better yet, rather than sending her a text message, call her on the phone. Listen to her voice. I know—crazy, right? But more can be accomplished in a ten‑second phone conversation than in hours of texting.
And your best option of all? Go out. On a date. A real date.
Excerpt reprinted from the book IN REAL LIFE: Love, Lies & Identity in the Digital Age by Nev Schulman. Copyright © 2014. Reprinted by permission of Grand Central Publishing. All rights reserved.