“You might belong in Gryffindor/Where dwell the brave at heart/Their daring, nerve and chivalry/Set Gryffindors apart.”
This rhyme comes from the best-selling Hogwarts artist Sorting Hat, and though the words (and school) themselves are — we think — fictional, that doesn’t mean they don’t apply to “Harry Potter” actor Daniel Radcliffe in real life. The iconic, beloved star turns a quarter-century on Wednesday (July 23), so what better way to honor him than by remembering the 25 moments in his life that have made him the ultimate Gryffindor?
1. When He Was Cast In The World’s Most Sought-After Role At Age 11
Don’t think Draco Malfoy can boast the same.
2. When He Did “Equus”
Performing nude with a horse in front of all of London and New York requires daring, nerve, and chivalry.
3. When He Wasn’t Afraid To Laugh At Himself On “Extras”
In 2006, Radcliffe prepared the world for a long career full of awesome when he played a hilariously despicable version of himself on Ricky Gervais’ hit comedy.
4. When He Showed Us That He Knows As Much About (American) Football As Quidditch
Pretty baller, in every sense of the word.
5. When He Won The Trevor Project’s Hero Award
Yep, supporting gay rights and donating time and money to LGBT suicide prevention is a very awesomely Gryffindor move.
6. When He Signed On For “Horns”
Radcliffe’s post-”Potter” career choices have certainly been interesting. We respect the actor for making token Gryffindor brave choices instead of, well, riding that “Harry Potter” train for all of eternity.
7. When He Helped Make Theme Parks More Magical
Speaking of “Harry Potter” train, we make an exception for the Hogwarts Express — and Radcliffe (along with Emma Watson and Rupert Grint) made Universal Studios’ Wizarding World of Harry Potter that much more magical when he filmed special new scenes for its rides.
8. When He Succeeded In Business, Without Trying
A true Gryffindor can sing, too.
9. When He Texted With J.K. Rowling
Only a man with the heart of a lion earns a spot on Rowling’s speed-dial.
10. When He Gave A Hug To An Old Friend
Living the dream, man.
11. When He Told Us He’s Bad At Sexting
A true Gryffindor doesn’t sext, and neither does Daniel Radcliffe.
12. When He Walked Like 20 Dogs On A Hot Manhattan Day
It was for a new Amy Schumer movie, but still.
13. When Braved That Old-Age Makeup
A Gryffindor is always confident in his or her skin, even if that skin is covered in weird old-timey makeup crap.
14. When He Totally Could Beat Up Frodo
We love you, Elijah Wood, but your hairy hobbit feet are no match for a chosen child of Godric Gryffindor.
15. When He Played House
True bravery is rooming with Josh Horowitz.
16.When He Did “The Cripple of Inishmaan”
Not content with being awesome on Broadway only twice, Radcliffe returned in the summer of 2014 to take on yet another interesting role, in the critically acclaimed dark comedy by Martin McDonagh.
17. When He Admitted To His Crush On Katy Perry
So cute. So totally Gryffindor.
18. When He Was Buds With Draco IRL
Slytherins need love too…
19. When He Grew Up In “The Woman In Black” And “Kill Your Darlings”
“Horns” isn’t Radcliffe’s only post-”Potter” stint with the darkness. He played an Edwardian-era widower in the 2012 British horror flick “The Woman In Black” and legendary beat poet Allen Ginsberg in “Kill Your Darlings.” Both performances were well received, because obviously.
20. When He First Talked American To Us
We could listen to D-Rad say “hey buddy, can I get an order of mozzarella sticks, please?” allll day.
21. When He Ditched The Hollywood Lifestyle (And Drinking)
Radcliffe very bravely admitted to a recent drinking problem in 2011 — and then quit the Hollywood life altogether, choosing to focus on things like family, friends, and choosing meaty roles instead of partying.
22. When He Made A “Hardcore Sex” Movie With Dane DeHaan
The story of Joey and Captain Animal MUST be told.
23. When, Um, This Happened
Well that’s… something.
24. When He Always Had Time For His Fans
Another key personality trait of Gryffindors? Generosity, and Radcliffe — in addition to his charity work, of course — has loads of it when it comes to taking time out for his fans.
25. When He Defeated The Dark Lord Voldemort
This one took some real chutzpah.