“You might belong in Gryffindor/Where dwell the brave at heart/Their daring, nerve and chivalry/Set Gryffindors apart.”
This rhyme comes from the best-selling Hogwarts artist Sorting Hat, and though the words (and school) themselves are — we think — fictional, that doesn’t mean they don’t apply to “Harry Potter” actor Daniel Radcliffe in real life. The iconic, beloved star turns a quarter-century on Wednesday (July 23), so what better way to honor him than by remembering the 25 moments in his life that have made him the ultimate Gryffindor?
1. When He Was Cast In The World’s Most Sought-After Role At Age 11
2. When He Did “Equus”
3. When He Wasn’t Afraid To Laugh At Himself On “Extras”
In 2006, Radcliffe prepared the world for a long career full of awesome when he played a hilariously despicable version of himself on Ricky Gervais’ hit comedy.
4. When He Showed Us That He Knows As Much About (American) Football As Quidditch
5. When He Won The Trevor Project’s Hero Award
6. When He Signed On For “Horns”
7. When He Helped Make Theme Parks More Magical
8. When He Succeeded In Business, Without Trying
9. When He Texted With J.K. Rowling
10. When He Gave A Hug To An Old Friend
11. When He Told Us He’s Bad At Sexting
12. When He Walked Like 20 Dogs On A Hot Manhattan Day
13. When Braved That Old-Age Makeup
14. When He Totally Could Beat Up Frodo
We love you, Elijah Wood, but your hairy hobbit feet are no match for a chosen child of Godric Gryffindor.
15. When He Played House
16.When He Did “The Cripple of Inishmaan”
17. When He Admitted To His Crush On Katy Perry
18. When He Was Buds With Draco IRL
19. When He Grew Up In “The Woman In Black” And “Kill Your Darlings”
20. When He First Talked American To Us
21. When He Ditched The Hollywood Lifestyle (And Drinking)
22. When He Made A “Hardcore Sex” Movie With Dane DeHaan
23. When, Um, This Happened
Well that’s… something.
24. When He Always Had Time For His Fans
25. When He Defeated The Dark Lord Voldemort