BBC News has confirmed with the star’s publicist that the Han Solo actor broke his left leg during a mishap involving one of the doors of the Millennium Falcon. According to Ford’s publicist, Ina Treciokas, the actor has undergone surgery.
“His surgery was successful and he will begin rehab shortly,” Treciokas said in a statement. “He’s doing well and looks forward to returning to work.”
It was initially reported last week that Ford had broken his ankle on the Millennium Falcon set and that he would be away from set for six to eight weeks. After the incident on set, Ford was airlifted to John Radcliffe Hospital.
Since the initial reports, there hasn’t been any update as to when Ford will be able to return to work. The first installment in a new “Star Wars” trilogy is said to heavily involve Han Solo, and if that’s the case, Ford’s injury will no doubt affect the production schedule.
“Star Wars: Episode VII” is scheduled to hit theaters on December 18, 2015.