Warner Bros. ‘Deeply Saddened’ By ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Shooting

'We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time,' the studio says after Colorado shooting.

News of the “Dark Knight Rises” shooting at a midnight screening in Aurora, Colorado, on Friday (July 20) has stunned onlookers nationwide and internationally. Among those mourning the incident are those who work at Warner Bros., the movie studio behind Christopher Nolan’s third and final Batman film.

“Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident,” the studio said in a statement. “We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time.”

Click here for photos from the scene in Aurora, Colorado.

In addition to WB’s issued statement, The Hollywood Reporter has learned that plans for a red carpet premiere of “The Dark Knight Rises” scheduled to take place in Paris tonight has been canceled in lieu of the shocking tragedy in Colorado. Media interviews with Nolan and the film’s cast have also been canceled.

MPAA chief executive Chris Dodd weighed in on the tragedy as well, issuing the following statement: “We share the shock and sadness of everyone in the motion picture community at the news of this terrible event. We extend our prayers and deepest sympathies to the victims, their loved ones and all those affected by this tragedy.”

Earlier in the day, President Barack Obama issued the following statement regarding the tragic Colorado shooting: “Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado … We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family.”

The Colorado shooting reportedly took place at 12:30 a.m., when a masked gunman entered the Century Aurora 16 theater and opened fire, killing at least 12 and wounding upwards of 50 moviegoers. Witnesses describe the gunman kicking open the back door of the theater and opening fire with four weapons, one AK-47 style assault rifle, a shotgun and two handguns, as well as tear gas. The 24-year-old suspect was later taken into custody and did not put up a fight with authorities.

Share your condolences for the families of the victims in the “Dark Knight Rises” shooting and express your thoughts on our Facebook page.

Likes pizza, punch and pie. Dislikes the Chitauri.
@roundhoward