50 Cent Explains Why He Won’t Be Appearing In Sylvester Stallone Film

Stallone had announced 50 would replace Forest Whitaker in 'The Expendables.'

A representative for 50 Cent issued a statement Tuesday (March 24) explaining why the MC will not be appearing in Sylvester Stallone’s film “The Expendables,” just days after the director announced 50 would be replacing Forest Whitaker in the role of Hale Caesar.

While online reports said that 50 had been dropped from the film, the statement says he had to pass on the project due to time constraints.

“50 Cent was offered the role of Hale Caesar in ‘The Expendables,’ however as he is currently in the process of completing his forthcoming album Before I Self Destruct with Dr. Dre and Eminem,” a rep for the MC told MTV News in a statement. “He was unfortunately not able to commit to the project.” Stallone reportedly told Ain’t It Cool News that former San Diego Charger Terry Crews, who debuted with Arnold Schwarzeneggar in “The 6th Day” and appears in this summer’s “Terminator Salvation,” will take on the role vacated by 50.

Last week, Stallone took to Ain’t It Cool News to defend his choice to cast 50 Cent in the role. The film is reportedly about “a team of mercenaries [that] heads to South America on a mission to overthrow a dictator.”

“The anger of the casting of 50 Cent is understandable, but not fair,” he told the site, adding that he thought the change would be good. “So, trust me, the change of Forest Whitaker to 50 Cent a.k.a. Curtis Jackson is a good one.”

“The Expendables” stars Mickey Rourke, Jason Statham, Jet Li and Stallone himself as Barney “The Schizo” Ross. Lundgren and Arnold Schwarzenegger have also been rumored for roles in the muscle-bound, testosterone-fueled extravaganza. No word yet on who will take over for 50 Cent.

For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.