Panic! at the Disco already own the Moonman for Video of the Year, and now they're poised to add a Woodie to their collection.
On Tuesday (September 12) nominations were announced for the third annual mtvU Woodie Awards, and the tight-trousered lads once again find themselves competing for the evening's top award. They'll go up against Angels & Airwaves, Atmosphere and fellow Decaydance Records artists the Academy Is ... and Gym Class Heroes for the Woodie of the Year, mtvU's equivalent of Artist of the Year.
But Panic aren't even the night's most-nominated artists. That honor is shared by some Brits: Mercury Prize winners the Arctic Monkeys and avant-folkie Imogen Heap, who scored three Woodie noms apiece.
The Monkeys and Heap will compete against each other in both the Breaking Woodie (given to the year's best newcomer) and the Streaming Woodie (bestowed upon the most-downloaded artist at mtvU.com) categories. The Monkeys are also nominated for the International Woodie, alongside Sia, Corinne Bailey Rae, the Subways and Cham (not to be confused with Chamillionaire). Heap is up against Gogol Bordello, Gnarls Barkley, Lady Sovereign and Wolfmother in the race for the Left Field Woodie — the award given to an artist who defies categorization.
Other categories include the Good Woodie, given to the artist whose commitment to social change made the biggest difference over the past year, and the Road Woodie, handed out to the act that toured the hardest. Over all, almost 50 artists landed nominations, including the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Chamillionaire, 30 Seconds to Mars and Gorillaz.
Fans can log on to mtvU.com between now and October 20 to vote for their favorites in all 10 categories. Winners will be announced at a live concert October 25 at New York's Roseland Ballroom, and the show will air on MTV, MTV2 and mtvU the following week.
My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy and Death Cab for Cutie were the big winners at last year's Woodies, which were handed out at a raucous ceremony that featured live sets by Matisyahu, Saul Williams and the Go! Team, as well as gratuitous Lou Reed action (see "My Chemical Romance Win Woodie Of The Year At mtvU Awards").
||The Woodie Noms Are In
See the Academy Is ..., Panic and Chamillionare as they vie for mtvU prizes.
Nominees for the 2006 mtvU Woodie Awards:
Woodie of the Year
- Angels & Airwaves
- Gym Class Heroes
- Panic! at the Disco
- The Academy Is ...
The Breaking Woodie
- Arctic Monkeys
- Imogen Heap
- Lupe Fiasco
- Plain White T's
Left Field Woodie
- Gnarls Barkley
- Gogol Bordello
- Imogen Heap
- Lady Sovereign
Best Video Woodie - Live
- 30 Seconds to Mars - "The Kill"
- Feist - "Mushaboom"
- Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - "Rise Up With Fists"
- Jurassic 5 - "Work It Out"
- The Raconteurs - "Steady, as She Goes"
Best Video Woodie - Animated
- Against Me! - "From Her Lips to God's Ears"
- Gnarls Barkley - "Crazy"
- Gorillaz - "El Mañana"
- Mark Ronson - "Just"
- Psapp - "Hi"
The Good Woodie
- Juvenile - Hurricane Katrina relief efforts
- Ludacris - Hurricane Katrina relief efforts
- Pearl Jam - environmental protection
- Rise Against - political awareness and activism
- Serj Tankian (System of a Down) - Armenian genocide
- Nightmare of You
- Taking Back Sunday
- The Fray
- Arctic Monkeys
- Corinne Bailey Rae
- The Subways
- Fiona Apple
- Ghostface Killah
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
Streaming Woodie (Nominees are broken up into four groups, and voting takes place over four weeks)
- Atmosphere - "Say Hey There (Gotta Go to Mexico)" (Rhymesayers Entertainment)
- Gym Class Heroes - "Cupid's Chokehold" (Fueled by Ramen/ Atlantic Records)
- Plain White T's - "Hey There Delilah" (East West Records)
- The Academy Is ... - "Checkmarks" (Fueled by Ramen/ Atlantic Records)
- All-American Rejects - "Move Along" (Interscope/ A&M Records)
- Matisyahu - "Youth" (Epic Records)
- Motion City Soundtrack - "Hold Me Down" (Epitaph Records)
- O.A.R. - "Lay Down" (Atlantic Records)
- Taking Back Sunday - "Makedamnsure" (Warner Bros. Records)
- Armor for Sleep - "The Truth About Heaven" (Equal Vision)
- Death Cab for Cutie - "Crooked Teeth" (Atlantic Records)
- Hellogoodbye - "Shimmy Shimmy Quarter Turn" (Drive Thru Records)
- Imogen Heap - "Hide and Seek" (RCA Victor Records)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Dani California" (Warner Bros. Records)
- Arctic Monkeys - "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor" (Domino Records)
- Cage - "Shoot Frank" (Definitive Jux Records)
- Nightmare of You - "I Want to Be Buried in Your Backyard" (East West Records)
- Panic! at the Disco - "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" (Fueled by Ramen/ Atlantic Records)
- The Academy Is ... - "Slow Down" (Fueled by Ramen/ Atlantic Records)