The temperature is about to rise in record stores across the country as Canadian rock outfit Hot Hot Heat release their new album.
The Victoria, British Columbia-bred band are back after 2002's Make Up the Breakdown with Elevator, an album packed full of energetic pop-rock. While recording this LP, the band bid "Goodnight, Goodnight" to original guitarist Dante DeCaro and replaced him with Luke Paquin.
Expect to see some "O.C." junkies rushing the record store on Tuesday as the fourth installment of "The O.C." mix series drops. This time around, the album's creators make the most underground-friendly mix yet, with tracks by Imogen Heap, Pinback, the Reindeer Section and Flunk, among others. More mainstream names like Beck and Modest Mouse are thrown in for good measure.
Four years after Faith Evans released Faithfully, the R&B songstress is back to crown herself The First Lady. For her return, Evans was supported by producers the Neptunes, Jermaine Dupri, Chucky Thompson, Mario Winans and Bryan Michael-Cox.
The Crystal Method release their Community Service, Vol. 2 this week. The album features remixes of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues," New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle" and Smashing Pumpkins' "1979," as well as nine of the Crystal Method's original tracks.
Elvis' little girl, Lisa Marie Presley, is back with her own brand of hip-swaying swagger on Now What, her follow-up to 2003's To Whom It May Concern.
Also out this week are albums by Fischerspooner (Odyssey), British Sea Power (Open Season), Reel Big Fish (We're Not Happy 'Til You're Not Happy) and Adema (Planets).
Out Tuesday, April 5:
- Absurd Minds - The Focus (Dancing Ferret)
- Adema - Planets (Earache Records)
- Beelow - Presents Louisiana's Sickest (Bungalo)
- Benevento/ Russo Duo - Best Reason to Buy the Sun (Ropeadope)
- Bludshot - Another Day (Bludshot)
- Brainstorm - Liquid Monster (Metal Blade)
- British Sea Power - Open Season (Rough Trade)
- Armin Van Buren - State of Trance 2005 (Ultra Records)
- Kristin Chenoweth - As I Am (Sony)
- The Long Defeat - Choose Your Own Adventure (Sit-n-Spin)
- Alex Cortiz - Magnifico (Varese Sarabande)
- The Crystal Method - Community Service II (3AM/Ultra)
- Dirty Projectors - The Getty Address (Western Vinyl)
- Eligh - Enigma (Legendary)
- Faith Evans - First Lady (Capitol)
Buy Now: First Lady (Capitol)
- Eyeball Skeleton - #1 (My Pal God)
- Fantômas - Suspended Animation (Ipecac)
- Far from Finished - East Side of Nowhere (Victory)
- Fischerspooner - Odyssey (Capitol)
Buy Now: Odyssey (Capitol)
- Fripp and Eno - The Equatorial Stars (Discipline Global Media)
- Graveworm - (N)utopia (Nuclear Blast)
- The Gun Shys - The Gun Shys (Aeronaut)
- Tord Gustavsen Trio - The Ground (ECM)
- Scott Hamilton & the Bill Charlap Trio - Back in New York (Concord)
- Hammerfall - Chapter 5 (Nuclear Blast)
- Fareed Haque Group - Cosmic Hug (Magna Carta)
- Hot Hot Heat - Elevator (Sire)
Read: "Hot Hot Heat's Ups And Downs Inspire Elevator"
- Issam Houshan - Wassan Pharaon (Ark 21)
- Illanotix - Killa Products (EV Productions)
- Brandon Jenkins - Down in Flames (Western Soul)
- Charles Lloyd - Jumping the Creek (ECM)
- Longshot - Open Mouths Fed (EV Productions)
- Lost City Angels - Broken World (Universal Motown)
- Magnolia Electric Co. - What Comes After the Blues (Secretly Canadian)
- Keiko Matsui - Walls of Akendora (Narada)
- Irvin Mayfield - Strange Fruit (Basin Street)
- Donnie McClurkin - Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs (Jive)
- Kate McGarry - Mercy Streets (Palmetto)
- OCS - 3 & 4 (Narnack)
- Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy (Secretly Canadian)
- Ellis Paul - American Jukebox Fables (Rounder)
- Pepper's Ghost - Shake the Hand That Shook the World (Hybrid)
- Lisa Marie Presley - Now What (Capitol)
Buy Now: Now What (Capitol)
- Pretendo - Pretendo (54º40' or Fight!)
- Reel Big Fish - We're Not Happy 'Til You're Not Happy (Jive)
Buy Now: We're Not Happy 'Til You're Not Happy (Jive)
- Serena Ryder - Unlikely Emergency (Isadora)
- Diane Schuur with the Caribbean Jazz Project - Schuur Fire (Concord)
- A Static Lullaby - Faso Latido (Columbia)
- Strength in Numbers - The Veil (Victory)
- Supersuckers - Devil's Food (Mid-Fi)
Buy Now: Devil's Food (Mid-Fi)
- Todd - Purity Pledge (Southern)
- Vast Aire & DJ Mighty Mi - The Best Damn Rap Show (Eastern Conference)
- Ben Watt - Buzzin' Fly Vol. 2 (Astralwerks)
- Aaron Watson - Live at the Texas Hall of Fame (RED)
- White Circle Crime Club - Written in Black (54º40' or Fight!)
- Yellow #5 - Demon Crossing (Scat)
- Eli Young Band - Level (Carnival/RED)
- Various artists - Bonnaroo 2004 (Sanctuary)
- Various artists - Electro Bossa (Varese Sarabande)
- Various artists - Everything Comes and Goes: A Tribute to Black Sabbath (Temporary Residence)
- Various artists - Verve Remixed 3 (Verve)
- Various artists - Soundtrack to "Millions" (Milan)
- Various artists - Music From the O.C.: Mix 4 (Warner Bros.)
- DVD: "Edgeplay: A Film About the Runaways" (Image)
- Mariah Carey - The Emancipation of Mimi (Island)
- Garbage - Bleed Like Me (Interscope)
Read: "Garbage Breakup Ends With New LP — If They Did Actually Break Up"
- Mudvayne - Lost and Found (Sony)
Read: "Mudvayne Lose The Makeup, Find Inspiration In Isolation"
- Mike Jones - Who Is Mike Jones? (Atlantic)
- Flaming Lips - Latenight Tales (Another Late Night)
- Rob Thomas - Something to Be (Atlantic)
Read: "Rob Thomas Ready For The Gravy After Testing Himself With Solo LP"
- Amerie - Touch (Sony)
- New Order - Waiting for the Sirens' Call (Warner Bros.)
- Bruce Springsteen - Devils & Dust (Sony)