Rapper C-Murder Indicted On Attempted Second-Degree Murder Charges

MC accused of shooting at a Baton Rouge, Louisiana, club owner and patron on August 14, 2001.

C-Murder was indicted Thursday by a Baton Rouge, Louisiana, grand jury on two counts of attempted second-degree murder, according to a spokesperson for the Baton Rouge district court.

The rapper (born Corey Miller) could face a 50-year prison sentence if found guilty, according to The Associated Press. Miller is accused of shooting at a Baton Rouge club owner and patron on August 14, 2001 (see “C-Murder Turns Self In, Will Answer Attempted-Murder Charge” ).

The arrest warrant says that Miller tried to enter Baton Rouge’s Club Raggs but was stopped by a security guard who told him he could not enter without being searched. Miller then demanded to see the club’s owner, who echoed the security guard’s statements. According to the warrant, Miller turned to leave, then grabbed a semiautomatic handgun from his waistband and attempted to shoot the club’s owner, who had his back turned to Miller.

The warrant alleges that the gun malfunctioned, Miller racked the gun again, discharged a live round, pointed the gun at the security guard and then attempted to fire it another time. Once the gun malfunctioned again, Miller drove away from the scene.

Miller’s attorney Roy Maughan Jr. told the AP that Miller denies the charges against him.

The initial warrant was issued for Miller’s arrest for charges of two counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count of illegal use of a weapon. Miller was released on $100,000 bail.

In January 2002, Miller was arrested and charged with first-degree murder and fraud on an unrelated charge at Harvey, Louisiana’s Platinum Club, and was held on $1 million bail. The charge was lowered to second-degree murder days later and in October 2003, Miller was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison.

In April, however, Miller was granted a new trial in that case (see “C-Murder Granted New Trial In Second-Degree Murder Case” ).

The judge ordered that Miller be held without bail until the case goes to trial, given the charges still pending from the Baton Rouge incident.

Miller’s attorney Ronald Rakosky told the AP he believes that the re-emergence of the Baton Rouge charges, three years after Miller was released on $100,000 bail, are based on the fact that Miller was recently granted a new trial in the case in which he had been found guilty.