DJ: DJ Wally Sparks
Mixtape: Mississippi Vet: David Banner Unleashed the Mixtape
Representing: Chattanooga, TN
The 411: The Incredible Hulk of rap drops a mixtape, showcasing not only tracks he’s produced for his peers, but Banner includes some of his own hits and previously unreleased material.
Joints to check for:
- “Like a Pimp” remix by David Banner featuring Twista and Busta Rhymes – This one got a lot a lot of burn during its initial run on mixtapes. Here, Busta meshes his unpredictable rhyme patterns with Twista’s speeding-ticket-worthy flow and Banner’s relentless Southern twang.
- “Get Crunk” by Crooked Lettaz featuring Pimp C – Little do most know that years before David Banner dropped Mississippi: The Album, he was part of the duo Crooked Lettaz with partner Kamikaze and put out the low-selling LP Grey Skies. Here is a vintage cut from that LP.
- “Flickin’ Twankies” by David Banner featuring Marcus – Every MC has “their man” that they try to put on, and Banner is no different. Here DB showcases the talent of Mr. Marcus.
Don’t Sleep: Other Notable Selections This Week
- Snoop Dogg and DJ Whoo Kid’s The Revival
- DJ Rondevu’s Knight’s of the Round Table Pt. 2
- Federation and Cipha Sounds’ T.O.K. — We’re Back!!!
’Hood’s Heavy Rotation: Bubbling Below The Radar
- Alchemist featuring Lloyd Banks – “Bangers”
- Nas – “On the Real 2004″
- D12 – “My Band” and “40 Oz”
- Lloyd featuring Ja Rule – “Get Paid”
- Lloyd Banks – “Warrior”
Copped That Disk: Most Mixtapes Sold
For the week of March 9-15
This week’s figures from MixUnit.com
- DJ Vlad, Dirty Harry and DJ Green Lantern – Rap Phenomenon II
- DJ Vlad and Dirty Harry – Rap Phenomenon
- DJ Green Lantern – The Invasion Part 3
The Streets Is Talking: News & Notes From The Underground
Mixtape Artist of the Year Lloyd Banks is showing no sign of relinquishing his title. Besides the assortment of G-Unit posse cuts banging hard in the streets right now, Banks is making a serious impact on the Alchemist-produced single “Bangers,” and Lloyd just debuted another cut, “Warrior,” on Funkmaster Flex’s New York radio show. All that hard work hasn’t been for nothing. Last week he finally got some playtime as part of the MTV Spring Break festivities in Cancun, Mexico. “Lloyd Banks does spring break the big way,” he said with a laugh. “I try to [meet] as many females as possible. Nah, I’m just playing. But I’m not playing. I’m really not. I’m 21 years old and I’m in Cancun. It’s crazy. Beautiful ladies are around me right now. I’m in the clubs — you gotta hit the clubs. The energy is retarded. I’m excited to be where I’m at right now.” … It’s looking like Mobb Deep will finally drop their Amerikaz Nightmare. The duo now have a release date of June 8, and with a video for first single “Got It Twisted” in the can and on the way, it looks like the date will hold firm. In the meantime, the Mobb will keep their name on the streets with two mixtapes. One, The New Mobb Deep, is hitting any day now with the help of Alchemist and DJ Whoo Kid. The second mixtape from the Mobb will be dropping in the coming weeks and finds them rapping over beats made famous by West Coast MCs. …
For other artists featured in Mixtape Mondays, check out Mixtape Mondays Headlines.
For a full-length feature on the role of mixtapes in the music industry, check out “Mixtapes: The Other Music Industry.”