There probably won’t be pyrotechnics or scantily clad back-up dancers at
Common’s upcoming Electric Circus tour— but with a bill that includes Gang Starr, rap-activist Talib Kweli and Grammy-nominated duo Floetry, special effects won’t be necessary. Intelligent rhymes, raw beats and an unmitigated love of hip-hop seem to be a sure bet.
Common will be promoting his new album, Electric Circus, on the tour, which kicks off on February 26 in Washington, D.C., and wraps up in Denver, Colorado, on March 23.
Meanwhile, tourmate Talib Kweli is using the opportunity to further spread the word about his November 2002 release, Quality, as well as his new single, “Get By,” for which he just shot a video in Brooklyn with director Jeremy Rall. Kweli recently returned from South Africa, where he shot another video, this time for Les Nubians’ new song, “Temperature Rising.”
Female R&B duo Floetry will be touring in support of their self-titled debut.
Hip-hop legends Gang Starr have yet to release their new album, The Ownerz (due in March), but they’ll give audiences a taste of their new music when they perform the song “Skillz,” the first single off the LP.
Common, Talib Kweli, Gang Starr and Floetry tour dates, according to an MCA label spokesperson:
- 2/26 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 2/27 – Providence, RI @ Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel
- 2/28 – Worcester, MA @ Palladium
- 3/1 – Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory
- 3/2 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Metropole
- 3/4 – Indianapolis, IN @ The Vogue
- 3/5 – Cleveland, OH @ Agora Ballroom
- 3/6 – Detroit, MI @ State Theater
- 3/7 – Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
- 3/8 – Chicago, IL @ House of Blues
- 3/9 – Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
- 3/12 – Seattle, WA @ Showbox
- 3/14 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
- 3/15 – Eugene, OR @ McDonald Theatre
- 3/16 – San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore
- 3/18 – Los Angeles, CA @ House of Blues
- 3/19 – Los Angeles, CA @ House of Blues
- 3/20 – Anaheim, CA @ House of Blues
- 3/21 – Phoenix, AZ @ Cajun House
- 3/22 – Albuquerque, NM @ Sunshine Theater
- 3/23 – Denver, CO @ Fillmore Auditorium