- Name: DJ Enuff
- Mixtape: It’s Ya Birthday
- Hometown: Brooklyn’s Best
- Joints to check for: “The Jump Off” by Lil’ Kim featuring Mr. Cheeks; “It’s On” by Beanie Sigel featuring Jay-Z; “Disappear” by Bubba Sparxxx; “The Streets Is Back” by the LOX; “Gangsta Music” by the Diplomats; Fat Joe freestyle
- Previous mixtapes: Big Man on the Beach, Hovie’s Home, On Fire
- The 411: For DJ Enuff, enough is never too much, as you’ll probably be able to figure out from this double-disc mix CD. Just to show how much juice he has, Enuff starts off by playing a special birthday message from 50 Cent and then segues into a freestyle by Swizz Beatz’s up-and-coming battlecat, Cassidy.
The exclusives don’t stop during the 100-plus minutes Enuff spins records. He celebrates his birthday in grand fashion with a second duet between R. Kelly and Fat Joe, “Who That” (Kelly co-starred on Joe’s 2001 hit “We Thuggin’ “). The song picks up where Kelly left off with his “Fiesta” remix. Over Spanish guitars and flutes, Kelly sings about partying with his fellas and pretty women, heading from the club to pool parties in Miami. Meanwhile, Joe rhymes about taking the shindig to the Cayman Islands and blinding spectators with his ice.
Cam’ron and the Diplomats are added to the mixtape fray with “Gangsta Music.” “I see death around the corner/ I gotta stay high/ Will I survive in the city where skinny n—as die,” rhymes Juelez Santana over driving drums before the chorus kicks in, showing the Dips’ appreciation for Scarface. “I stood alone in my four-cornered room staring at candles,” they rap, borrowing from Face’s lyrics on “Mind Playin’ Tricks on Me.”
Turning his birthday party into a gangsta party, Enuff, who used to produce for the Notorious B.I.G. back in the day, adds two rare Tupac and Daz collaborations. The songs are so rare they don’t even have names, but Pac does promise to “kick some ass” in his verses.
Besides making mixtapes and beats, Enuff is obviously most widely known for being a radio DJ. He spins records weekdays on New York radio station Hot 97.
For other artists featured in Mixtape Mondays, check out Mixtape Mondays Headlines.