One of the more anticipated albums of 1998, the major label debut from Girls Against Boys, has been put to bed and the band is currently wrapping up loose ends before it is released in the States on June 2.
Before unleashing "FREAK*ON*ICA" on eager music-heads (like the folks at "Alternative Press" who tagged the album one of the 25 most anticipated releases of the year), the band is finalizing plans for a headlining tour and preparing to shoot the album's first video. A spokesperson for GVSB said that the band will shoot a clip for "Park Avenue," the first single from "FREAK*ON*ICA," on its home turf of New York City over the course of a few days in mid-April.
The band will then launch a headlining tour of the U.K. and Europe on May 27, eight days after the album has its international release (the same day, May 19, U.S. fans will find vinyl copies of "FREAK*ON*ICA" in stores).GVSB will then return to the States to launch a headlining tour during the first week of
July, and plans to tour here through August before returning to Europe to hit the festival circuit.
The band's new material, produced by P.I.L. and Killing Joke producer Nick Launay (see "Girls Against Boys Prepare To Enter Studio"), has already been road-tested on three recent club dates in Philadelphia, New York, and Washington.
GVSB devotees who missed those shows, and who happen to be in Europe this summer, might want to check out the following shows:
- 5/24 - Brighton, UK @ Essential Music Festival
- 5/27 - Bristol, UK @ Fleece & Firkin
- 5/28 - Nottingham, UK @ Sam Fay's
- 5/29 - Sheffield, UK @ Boardwalk
- 5/30 - Newcastle, UK @ Riverside
- 5/31 - Glasgow, UK @ King Tut's Wah Wah Hut
- 6/2 - Dublin, IRE @ Mean Fiddler
- 6/4 - Manchester, UK @ Hop & Grape
- 6/5 - London, UK @ University Of London
- 6/7 - Paris, FRA @ La Boule Noire
- 6/9 - Cologne, GER @ Underground
- Amsterdam, NET @ Melkweg
- 6/11 - Hamburg, GER @ Logo
- 6/12 - Hultsfred, SWE @ Hultsfred Festival
- 6/13 - Copenhagen, DEN @ Loppen