In another sign that the upcoming Jennifer Love Hewitt film "Can't Hardly Wait" may mark the return of the John Hughes-style high school flick (as many have claimed), the film has announced a soundtrack line-up that reads like a who's-who of 90s chart-land.
Third Eye Blind, Blink 182, Missy Elliott, Busta Rhymes and others have signed on as The Simply Reds and OMDs of today for the soundtrack, which offers a mix of familiar material as well as songs remixed for the film. The collection also directly hearkens back to days gone by with older tracks from Guns N' Roses, Run DMC, and, none too surprisingly, the Replacements track that gives the movie its name.
The album's first single, "High" from the group Feeder, should see the light of day in early May, a month before the film (which also stars Melissa Joan Hart, Jenna Elfman, Jerry O'Connell, and Ethan Embry) opens on June 12.
Here's a list of the artists who will turn up on the soundtrack:
- Third Eye
Blind - "Graduate (remix)"
- Smash Mouth - "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love Baby" (cover of a Four Seasons song)
- Blink 182 - "Dammit"
- Brougham - "I Walked In (The Party)"
- Busta Rhymes - "Fire It Up (remix)"
- Missy Elliott - "Hit 'Em Wit Da Hee (remix)"
- KP & Envyi - "Swing My Way"
- Feeder - "High"
- Black Lab - "Tell Me What To Say"
- Matthew Sweet - "Farther Down"
- The Replacements - "Can"t Hardly Wait"
- Dog's Eye View - "Umbrella"
- Guns N' Roses - "Paradise City"
- Run DMC - "It's Tricky"