Godsmack, The Sheila Divine, Susan Tedeschi, and Powerman 5000 were the big winners at the 13th Annual Kahlua Boston Music Awards, held Thursday night at the Orpheum Theater in Boston as part of the opening night ceremonies for the NEMO Music Showcase & Conference.
Godsmack, whose self-titled record won the BMA in 1999 for Debut Album Of The Year, picked up two awards at the event, including Act Of The Year, and Outstanding Rock Band, while frontman Sully Erna was named Outstanding Male Vocalist and Outstanding Song/Songwriter for the band's single, "Keep Away."
Beantown indie darlings The Sheila Devine and nouveau blues singer Susan Tedeschi each took home three Boston Music Awards each, as The Sheila Devine was selected as Outstanding Rock Band (Indie Label), while Tedeschi won Single Of The Year (Indie Label) for "Rock Me Right" off her "Just Won't Burn" LP.
Tedeschi, The Sheila Devine, and Godsmack all performed at the Boston Music Awards, along
with The Push Stars, Angry Salad, Orchestra Morphine, and this year's Hall Of Fame Award recipients, Donna Summer and Gang Starr.
J. Geils Band singer Peter Wolf was also on hand for the awards show, and presented Atlantic Records founder and Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame co-founder Ahmet Ertegun with the inaugural Ertegun Impact Award in recognition of his business achievements in the music industry.
The complete list of winner the 13th Annual Kahlua Boston Music Awards:
- Act of the Year: Godsmack
- Rising Star: Powerman 5000
- Album of the Year: "Tonight the Stars Revolt!" - Powerman 5000
- Debut Album of the Year: "LFO" - LFO
- Outstanding Rock Band: Godsmack
- Outstanding Debut Rock Band: The Push Stars
- Single of the Year: "Give it to You" - Jordan Knight
- Outstanding Female Vocalist: Donna Summer
- Outstanding Male Vocalist: Sully Erna
- Outstanding Song/Songwriter: "Keep Away" - Sully Erna
- Album of the Year (Indie
Label): "New Parade" - The Sheila Divine
- Debut Album of the Year (Indie Label): "Wide Awake With The Pills" - The Pills
- Single of the Year (Indie Label): "Rock Me Right" - Susan Tedeschi
- Outstanding Female Vocalist (Indie Label): Susan Tedeschi
- Outstanding Male Vocalist (Indie Label): Aaron Perrino
- Outstanding Song/Songwriter (Indie Label): "Because I Told You So" - Jonatha Brooke
- Video of the Year: "I Love You Came Too Late" - Joey McIntyre
- Outstanding Rock Band (Indie Label): The Sheila Divine
- Outstanding New Rock Band (Indie Label): Waltham/Star Ghost Dog (Tie)
- Outstanding Hardcore/Metal Band: Tree
- Outstanding Club Band: The Gravel Pit
- Outstanding Ska Band: Kicked in the Head
- Outstanding Reggae Act: One People
- Outstanding Rap/Hip-Hop Act: Mr. Lif
- Outstanding Swing/Lounge Act: Seks Bomba
- Outstanding Jazz Act: Fully Celebrated Orchestra
- Outstanding Jazz Album: "Life Overflowing" - Charlie Kohlhase/John Tchicai
- Outstanding Jazz Vocalist: Rebecca Parris
- Outstanding Folk/Acoustic Album: "Can You Read This Boston?" - Big Girl Records
- Outstanding Debut Folk/Acoustic Album: "Twenty Point Turn" - Jabe
- Outstanding Male Singer/Songwriter: Martin Sexton
- Outstanding Female Singer/Songwriter: Melissa Ferrick
- Outstanding New Singer/Songwriter: Adrianne
- Outstanding Blues Act: Susan Tedeschi
- Outstanding Country Act: Dave Foley
- Outstanding World Music Act: Babaloo
- Outstanding Producer: David Minehan
Catch all the sizzlin', star-packed VMA action direct from Miami on August 28. MTV News' preshow kicks things off at 6:30 p.m. ET/PT, followed by big show at 8 p.m.
Vote for the Viewer's Choice Award, see a timeline of MTV Video Music Awards history, and relive highlights of last year's event. And for more MTV Video Music Awards news, check out the MTV News VMA archive.