Monster Magnet, Green Day, Collective Soul, Days of the New and Third Eye Blind are among the alternative rock artists who have agreed to suit up for the soundtrack to "Varsity Blues," the upcoming film starring "Dawson Creek's" James Van Der Beek and Oscar-winner John Voight.Days of the New and Collective Soul have penned original tunes for the record, entitled "Two Faces" and "Run," respectively, and director Martin Weisz has been tapped to direct the video for "Run," which will be the first official single from the soundtrack. Other highlights on the "Varsity Blues" album include a pair of covers, as Monster Magnet reworks MC5's classic hardcore dirge, "Kick Out the Jams," while San Diego's Sprung Monkey offers tribute to one of its influences via its take on the '90s AC/DC cut, "Thunderstruck." As for Third Eye Blind, that group isn't expected to release the follow-up to its 1997 self-titled debut album anytime in the near future, but has contributed a B-side, "Horror
Show," to the movie soundtrack."Varsity Blues" is a coming of age saga that follows the misadventures of a back-up quarterback (Van Der Beek) as his high school team approaches a perfect season. The movie arrives on screens January 15, while the accompanying soundtrack is due out a few days earlier, one January 12. The track listing for the "Varsity Blues" soundtrack:
- Loudmouth - "Fly"
- Green Day - "Nice Guys Finish Last"
- Foo Fighters - "My Hero"
- Collective Soul - "Run"
- Fastball - "Are You Ready for the Fallout"
- Third Eye Blind - "Horror Show"
- Janus Stark - "Every Little Thing Counts"
- Van Halen - "Hot for Teacher"
- Simon Says - "Ship Jumper"
- Monster Magnet - "Kick Out the Jams"
- Black Lab - "Black Eye"
- Days of the New - "Two Faces"
- Sprung Monkey - "Thunderstruck"
- Redd Kross - "Teen Competition"
- Caroline's Spine - "Varsity Blues"