April 9 [14:00 EST] -- Life has definitely gotten better for singer Paula Cole. In high school, she was a prom queen who couldn't get a date.
This week she has a top 20 hit with "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone" from her second album, "This Fire."
It turns out that Peter Gabriel, of all people, helped out with the transformation."Before I joined Peter's tour, I was literally a hermit," Cole told MTV News. "I was so shy and inhibited before. I learned a tremendous amount just by watching Peter, and observing how he deals with the success of his career. It was such an amazing experience, and I wouldn't have had that if I had been thrust immediately into my career" (QuickTime, 1.5MB).
Cole is showing the world what she learned on her current U.S. tour, which hits Pontiac, Michigan, on April 17. In July, she'll join Jewel, Fiona Apple, Sarah McLachlan, Suzanne Vega and other women
on the Lilith Fair tour.
For more on Cole, check out MTV's "Week In Rock" this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at 6:30 p.m. Eastern time.
Before the Lilith Fair tour kicks off, here's where else you can see Cole:
- 4/16 - Toronto, ONT @ Horseshoe Tavern
- 4/17 - Pontiac, MI @ Clutch Cargo
- 4/18 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart's
- 4/20 - Louisville, KY @ Phoenix Hill Tavern
- 4/21 - Columbus, OH @ Ludlow's
- 4/22 - Indianapolis, IN @ Vogue
- 4/24 - Chicago, IL @ Park West
- 4/28 - St. Louis, MO @ Mississippi Nights