After releasing the "Hip-Hop For Respect" maxi-single last week, Black Star's Talib Kweli is preparing to hit the road for a month-long tour with L.A. newcomers Dilated Peoples, starting on May 4 in St. Louis.
Kweli and the Peoples will be joined on the first two dates by acclaimed underground hip-hop outfit Jurassic 5, who are playing a few warm-up dates before embarking on this year's edition of the Warped Tour (see "Vans Warped Tour 2000 Maps Out Dates").
Talib Kweli will be out supporting the "Hip Hop For Respect" single, a benefit project that features appearances from Rza, Common, The Fugees' Pras, De La Soul's Pos, Cappadonna, and EPMD's Parrish Smith (see "Black Star And Friends To Issue 'Hip-Hop For Respect'").
The Dilated Peoples, who first emerged on the scene in 1997 with a pair of singles, "Third Degree" and "Work The Angles," will release
their first major-label album, titled "Platform," on May 23 via Capitol Records.
Dates for the Talib Kweli-Dilated Peoples tour:
- 5/4 - St. Louis, MO @ Galaxy (w/ Jurassic 5)
- 5/5 - Lawrence, KS @ Granada (w/ Jurassic 5)
- 5/6 - Minneapolis, MN @ Quest Club
- 5/8 - Chicago, IL @ Double Door
- 5/9 - Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews
- 5/11 - Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
- 5/12 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
- 5/14 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 5/15 - Philadelphia, PA @ Theater of Living Arts
- 5/16 - Boston, MA @ Axis
- 5/18 - Toronto, ON @ Opera House
- 5/19 - New York, NY @ SOB's (without Talib Kweli)
- 5/20 - Providence, RI @ Lupos
- 5/23 - Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey Theatre
- 5/26 - San Jose, CA @ The Usual
- 5/30 - Portland, OR @ Roseland Theatre
- 5/31 - Seattle, WA @ Aro Space
- 6/1 - Vancouver, BC @ Sonar