Gun Hill Road is a major thoroughfare in the New York City borough of the Bronx. The road stretches for 3.5 miles (5.63 kilometres) in Woodlawn and Morris Park. Gun Hill Road begins at Stillwell Avenue in Morris Park near the Hutchinson River Parkway exit and comes to an end at the Mosholu Parkway in Woodlawn. Van Cortlandt Park and the Mosholu Golf Course are both located at the western terminus of Gun Hill Road.
1 Street description,
3.1 Commuter rail,
4 See also,
The east end of Gun Hill Road is at an intersection with Exit 4S of the Hutchinson River Parkway and Stillwell Avenue. The road for about .2 of a mile is one-way, and intersects with Waring Avenue. The New England Thruway exit 10 ramp joins at the intersection with Edson Avenue and Ely Avenue. Gun Hill Road parallels the New England Thruway until Bartow Avenue intersects, where Gun Hill moves away from the Thruway. Eastchester Road intersects soon after, which brings one to U.S. Route 1. Between the DeWitt Place and Sexton Place intersections, the first subway station on Gun Hill Road, which is for the 5 train. Gun Hill Road intersects U.S. Route 1 as the road enters Woodlawn.
White Plains Road, a wide road with a median, intersects soon after. At the intersection is another subway station, this time serving the 2 5 trains. West of the White Plains Road intersection, Gun Hill Road crosses over the Bronx River Parkway at Exit 9. Northwest of there, the road passes to the south of Woodlawn Cemetery. The intersection with DeKalb Avenue in Woodlawn will bring you to the North Central Bronx Hospital. West of the intersection with Jerome Avenue, Gun Hill Road passes to the south of the Mosholu Golf Course. Also, the road changes names from East Gun Hill Road to West Gun Hill Road. Gun Hill Road comes to its western end at the Mosholu Parkway, where it becomes a park road known as Van Cortlandt Park South.
During the Revolution, the road was an important artery over which the British and the Colonists fought. In January 1777, the colonists brought a cannon to the top of a hill and fired at the British. The hill, now inside Woodlawn Cemetery was locally called Gun Hill afterwards. The road was known as Kingsbridge Road (part of the original Boston Post Road) until 1875, when it was renamed Gun Hill Road. It did not originally extend east of White Plains Road, but was extended by segments to the Hutchinson River by 1938.
In 1941, the New York City Planning Department proposed the Gun Hill Crosstown Highway as an upgrade, but nothing happened with this plan. In the mid-1960s, the Tri-State Transportation Commission proposed a new route just a mile north of Gun Hill Road called the City Line Expressway; this plan also did not advance.
Williams Bridge - East 210th Street Station is a former New York Central Railroad station that serves the Metro-North Railroad's Harlem Line,
There are two New York City Subway stations on Gun Hill Road.
Gun Hill Road on the IRT White Plains Road Line serves the 2 5 trains,
Gun Hill Road on the IRT Dyre Avenue Line serves the 5 train,
There are several buses that travel on Gun Hill Road. The primary routes that traverse the corridor are the Bx28, Bx30, and Bx38.