It's morphin' time!
The first official photo from set, courtesy of Entrainment Weekly, shows us the five "disenfranchised and disparate" Angel Grove High teens who will be tasked with saving their city from an alien force in the 2017 film, Power Rangers. The cast includes Becky G (Trini/Yellow Ranger), Naomi Scott (Kimberly/Pink Ranger), Ludi Lin (Zack/Black Ranger), Me, Earl and the Dying Girl scene-stealer RJ Cyler (Billy/Blue Ranger), and newcomer Dacre Montgomery (Jason/Red Ranger).
Sorry, but it looks like we might have to wait for the sequel to meet our favorite Green/White Ranger, Tommy. (Sigh.)
Screenwriters Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller (X-Men: First Class) wrote the screenplay for Power Rangers, which will follow the group of misfit high school kids as they find themselves infused with extraterrestrial powers and must harness those powers as a team to save the world from alien threats and the evil Rita Repulsa (Elizabeth Banks). No pressure, right?
Directed by Dean Israelite, Power Rangers will go back to the franchise's roots, which should make fans of Saban Entertainment's original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers series very happy.
However, that doesn't mean there won't be some changes. Despite their familiar names, these kids are decidedly edgier. In fact, they're all Angel Grove outcasts when we meet them. (So, yes, this is The Breakfast Club meets Power Rangers.) Their costumes will also get a much-needed update to differentiate the Power Rangers from all of their superhero competition.
"We've really pushed ourselves to make them feel different from any other superhero costume that's out there," Israelite told EW. "One key that's different to the Power Ranger suits is that they're not really suits that people get into. They’re suits that morph onto our kids, so they already have this almost metaphysical quality to them."
OK, but will Kimberly still have the ability to trip her opponents? Because that was pretty dope in 1995.
20th Century Fox
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023