YOU WANT YOUR MTV, AND PARAMOUNT+ HAS IT

Eminem May Face Additional Charges

Witnesses say rapper revealed gun in argument before nightclub incident.

WARREN, Mich. — Rapper

COLOR="#003163">Eminem could face

additional charges Thursday, less than 24 hours after his

arraignment on assault and illegal handgun possession

charges.

Detectives in Royal Oak, Mich., will meet Thursday with

Oakland County prosecutors regarding another alleged

incident involving the rapper and a handgun.

Witnesses said the rapper got into an argument with

another man before revealing the handgun and taking it out

in a car-audio shop.

"He never pointed it at anybody. He walked toward this

other person with the gun out," Royal Oak Police Lt. Michael

Struble said. "We're presenting the case to the prosecutor

in the morning. It's up to the prosecutor as to what charges

will be filed."

The incident at Mickey Schorr car audio in Royal Oak

occurred at 5:45 p.m. Saturday, about nine hours before

Eminem went to spy on his wife at a bar in Warren, officials

said.

(Click here to read an earlier story about the rapper's

arraignment.)

Three Lawyers, Two Felony Charges

Accompanied by a friend, Eminem saw his wife kissing

another man at about 2:20 a.m. Sunday at Hot Rocks

Café and said, "I'm going to kill you! I'm going to kill

you!" according to Macomb County Prosecutor Carl

Marlinga.

Eminem is accused of clubbing the victim in the head with

his unloaded gun before another man wrestled the

handgun away from the rapper. When police arrived,

another man was in possession of the 9 mm Smith &

Wesson, but the rapper admitted to officers that the gun

was his, according to Marlinga.

Accompanied by three lawyers and two bodyguards,

Eminem surrendered to two felony charges Wednesday

(June 7). After being photographed and fingerprinted by

police for the second time since his arrest, he appeared

nervous upon entering a small, crowded courtroom with

news cameras focused on him. About 60 onlookers

watched as he was arraigned.

Handcuffed but neatly clad in a black blazer, navy blue shirt

and gray tie, Eminem (born Marshall Mathers) let his attorney speak on his behalf.

Eminem stood mute to one count of carrying a concealed

weapon — a five-year felony — and one count of

assault with a dangerous weapon, a four-year offense.

Judge Susan Chrzanowski of the 37th District Court set

bond at $100,000 cash, of which Eminem was required to

pay 10 percent to be released. The judge also ordered the

nation's hottest rap artist to turn in any other guns or

knives he may have at his upscale, 4,384-square-foot

home in Sterling Heights, a suburb northeast of Detroit.

Eminem agreed to waive his right to a preliminary hearing

within 14 days. That hearing will be held July 11 to

determine if enough evidence exists for him to stand trial

on the two charges.

"You have to at least give him credit for not putting bullets

in the gun," Marlinga said. Based on Eminem's previously

unblemished criminal record, sentencing guidelines could

land him behind bars from 11 to 17 months if he is

convicted, the prosecutor said.

Eminem's wife, Kimberly Mathers, did not attend her

husband's arraignment. She was charged Monday with

disturbing the police, stemming from her arrest in the

skirmish outside the bar. She is free on $300 bond and

could be sentenced to up to 90 days in jail.

Fans Show Support

More than 50 fans waited outside Warren Police

headquarters amid beefed-up police presence to catch a

glimpse of the Grammy Award winner.

"I didn't wake up today thinking I'd see Slim Shady," an

excited Carol Glass, 19, said shortly after seeing Eminem in

court.

Fans were divided on how he handled the incident outside

Hot Rocks Café.

"He could have handled it better," Glass said.

But Cassie Motes, 17, of Sterling Heights disagreed.

"Anybody in their right mind would have done the same

thing," she said. "He knew [the gun] was not loaded when

he pulled it out."

Warren native Annette Carter, 28, said, "I think

[prosecutors] are on him hard because he's somebody big

from this town."

The Shows Will Go On

For now, Eminem fans with tickets for any of his concerts on

an upcoming two-month tour with fellow rappers

COLOR="#003163">Dr. Dre and

COLOR="#003163">Snoop Dogg don't have to

worry. The judge allowed Eminem to leave Clinton Township, Mich., but he

must provide a tour itinerary to prosecutors and police, and

notify them where he's staying while out of the state.

Paul F. Zyburski, a 39-year-old lawyer from Clinton

township, recalled how his parents didn't like some of the

bands he listened to growing up, such as

COLOR="#003163">Black Sabbath and

Alice Cooper

(born Vincent Furnier). (Cooper, like Eminem, has roots in

Macomb County.)

So Zyburski brought his 12-year-old son, Paul, to court.

"I took my kid out of school so he could learn freedom of

speech," the father said.

Zyburski, whose favorite musical entertainer is

COLOR="#003163">Wayne Newton, admitted

he doesn't agree with all of the controversial rapper's lyrics

but added, "It's just music."

"Elvis used to

be a problem in the '50s, too," he said.

Fans apparently will get a chance to see if Eminem can

carry his success from the stage to the silver screen. He

recently signed a contract with Image Entertainment to star

in a film based on his life.

That script could change Thursday if Oakland County

prosecutors authorize a warrant.

(This story was updated at 11:30 p.m. EDT Wednesday, June 7, 2000.)