Green Day's Dirnt Hurt After Fight With Third Eye Blind Member

Bassist was hospitalized after being struck on the head with a beer bottle.

Green Day's Mike Dirnt suffered a skull fracture Saturday, following a scuffle with a member of fellow Bay Area band Third Eye Blind at Los Angeles radio station KROQ's annual Weenie Roast.

The pop-punk bassist suffered the head injury and was hospitalized after being struck over the head with a beer bottle during the show at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre in Southern California, according to a source close to the band who preferred anonymity.

However, it is unclear who hit the musician over the head and caused the injury. Green Day's official fan website, "The Official Green Day Fan Site" (, reported Monday (June 22) that the injury was the result of the altercation with Third Eye Blind's bassist, Arion Salazar.

However, according to Third Eye Blind spokesperson Russell Bloom, it was an overzealous fan attempting to come to the defense of Salazar who struck the 26-year-old Dirnt, a.k.a. Mike Pritchard, with the beer bottle.

The fight between Salazar and Dirnt began after Green Day's set as part of the Weenie Roast, Bloom said, when Salazar ran onstage and bear-hugged Dirnt. The Green Day bassist, apparently surprised by Salazar, then allegedly kicked and hit Salazar, leading to the scuffle onstage and later backstage after the show.

Amanda Cagan, a spokeswoman at Green Day's MSO management company, confirmed that Dirnt was injured after the Berkeley, Calif.-based trio's set at the Weenie Roast. She added that no charges had been pressed as of press time.

Cagan declined to comment on reports that Dirnt suffered his injuries in a fight with Salazar.

In a statement released by Third Eye Blind's management, Salazar said, "I am sorry that my attempt at doing something I thought would be funny escalated into Mike getting hurt. That was never my intention. I simply had too much to drink and made a very bad decision.

"If I had been in Mike's place, I'm sure I would have acted similarly," Salazar continued in his statement. "My heart goes out to him and I hope he recovers quickly. We have many friends in common and I just hope that he can accept my sincerest apology. I am sorry, Mike."

Leslie Dormann, vice president of business development for Western Medical Center in Santa Ana, Calif., confirmed that Pritchard had been hospitalized overnight Saturday and released Sunday. She declined to provide further details, citing patient confidentiality laws.

Irvine police confirmed that they are investigating the matter but were unavailable to provide additional details of the incident at press time.

Latest News