'Harry Potter' Fans, Here's What You Can Call Muggles In America

Add that one to the lexicon.

British people have all kinds of intriguing slang words that are different from what we say stateside: the bathroom becomes the loo. A sweater is a jumper. A booger is a bogey. You get the idea.

So it only makes sense that in the "Harry Potter" universe, there would be different magical slang between the American and British wizarding worlds. "Potter" author J.K. Rowling revealed today to Entertainment Weekly that in the upcoming "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" movie, which takes places in New York in 1926, what we've known for so many years as Muggles are known in America as "No-Maj."

As in "no magic," get it?

"Muggle" has the honor of being the widest known of Rowling's created words, even for those who haven't read the "Potter" series. In 2003, the Oxford English Dictionary added the term officially, to mean "A person who is not conversant with a particular activity or skill."

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" hits theaters November 18, 2016.

Latest News