Marco Ovando/Gaby Deimeke
They say it takes 30 days to form a new habit, but there’s good news — you won’t have to wait that long until the 2022 MTV VMAs. This year’s show is only 23 days away. And today (August 5), MTV is announcing the first crop of performers set to take the stage at what promises to be an event to remember. The names, as ever, span the literal globe.
Anitta, J Balvin, Marshmello x Khalid, and Panic! at the Disco will all bring performances to this year’s VMAs, creating a panoply of international talent that simply has to be seen to be believed. And that’s not all — many more announcements are still ahead in the coming days.
In the meantime, you can count on Anitta making her VMAs main-stage debut with her dance song “Envolver,” up for an award this year in the Best Latin category. J Balvin, a frequent collaborator of Anitta's who most recently linked with the Brazilian artist on “No Más,” is set to return to the show for the first time since 2019. He’ll bring the dual television/world premiere of his song “Nivel de Perreo” with fellow Colombian artist Ryan Castro. Balvin is likewise up for Best Latin.
Marshmello and Khalid, meanwhile, aim to make VMAs magic teaming up together for the first time on the show’s stage to perform their breezy hit “Numb.” It’s Khalid’s first appearance since joining Logic and Alessia Cara for “1-800-273-8255” in 2017.
Panic! at the Disco will return to the VMAs stage for the first time in four years for the world-premiere performance of new single “Middle of a Breakup” and are nominated in the Best Alternative category for “Viva Las Vengeance.”
All this means, of course, that it’s just the beginning. We’ve got three weeks until show day. Who knows what might be announced in the meantime?
The nominees for the 2022 VMAs were unveiled last week, and Jack Harlow, Kendrick Lamar, and Lil Nas X led the pack with seven nods each. Doja Cat and Harry Styles were close behind with six apiece, while Billie Eilish, Drake, Dua Lipa, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, and The Weeknd all individually racked up five. Two social categories — Group of the Year and Song of Summer — will be announced soon.
The 2022 VMAs will return to New Jersey’s Prudential Center in Newark on Sunday, August 28. The ceremony previously hit the Garden State in 2019, hosted by Sebastian Maniscalco; last year’s show aired from Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. Find the full list of 2022 VMA nominees right here, and be sure to go vote for your faves at vma.mtv.com.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023