From the moment of her birth, she was instantly the most famous baby on the planet. Frances Bean Cobain, now 19, is the only child of late Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain and Hole frontwoman Courtney Love.
As we were digging through the tape archives this week in the midst of the 20th-anniversary celebration of Nirvana's landmark Nevermind album, we unearthed some footage of the rock offspring spending quality time with her parents and thought it was worth catching you up on what Frances has been up to lately.
Born August 18, 1992, Frances -- whose godfather is [article id="1671211"]former R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe[/article] and godmother is actress Drew Barrymore -- had a childhood that was unusual even by Hollywood standards. While Love tried her best to keep the young Frances out of the spotlight, the toddler would occasionally make the papers on Love's arm at a movie premiere or public event.
As she grew older, Frances continued to mostly shun the spotlight, giving only a handful of interviews to date, including her first one in 2005 as a 13-year-old to Teen Vogue.
Here are five facts you may not know about Frances Bean:
» She worked as an intern at Rolling Stone during the summer of 2008. The gig was ironic, if only because her dad famously wore a homemade T-shirt that read "corporate magazines still suck" during Nirvana's first cover shoot for the famed rock mag.
» Her sweet 16 birthday party was held in August 2008 at the Los Angeles House of Blues and featured a performance from Mindless Self Indulgence.
» Like her father, Frances is also an artist. She debuted a collection called "Scumf---" at Los Angeles' La Luz de Jesus gallery in July 2010 under the pseudonym "Fiddle Tim." The show mostly consisted of cartoony drawings of distorted figures with titles such as "Hips Like Battleships," "Chopsy Cheech" and "Spector Hector."
» Frances was part of a large group of background singers on a strange project from transgressive Dresden Dolls singer Amanda Palmer called "Evelyn Evelyn," which was reportedly created by a pair of conjoined sisters from Seattle. The song "My Space" features backing vocals from Cobain, comedians Margaret Cho and Eugene Mirman, Andrew W.K., My Chemical Romance's Gerard Way and "Weird" Al Yankovic.
» The biggest splash to date, however, has been a series of moody, alluring black-and-white photos of Frances shot by fashion designer Hedi Slimane.
Who knows what's next for Frances, but given her musical and artistic pedigree, it's likely we've not seen the last of her.
Stick with MTV News as we reveal the Nevermind You Never Knew, celebrating the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's definitive album with classic footage, new interviews and much more.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023