Kevin Winter / Getty Images
"All I wanted to give my fans is the UR experience," Usher told MTV News correspondent Sway Calloway on Friday (August 22) after he rehearsed at the Forum in Los Angeles California.
"UR" of course is the singer's initials and he's been one of music's top performers since he dropped his debut album 20 years ago in 1994.
Usher plans to drop his eighth album later this year and has already released two singles from the LP ("Good Kisser" and "She Came To Give It To You," with Nicki Minaj). Whatever he chooses to perform, we're sure it's going to be epic. The last time Usher performed in 2010, he brought his "OMG" single to life right before our eyes.
"Everybody, all of the executives, all of my creative people and team, they've been on-board and the VMAs really did give me an opportunity to paint an incredible picture," Usher said. "But it is expansive, it does feel like nothing I've done before."
Usher says he's not trying to outdo his last VMA performance or any other artist. He just wants to give it his best shot. "I never approached this show -- others yeah, but not this show, that I should go out here and try to beat someone else," he said. "I just feel like I need to go out here and give it my all and enjoy it."
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023