Protests In Honor Of Eric Garner Sweep New York City: See The Photos

Protestors made their way across Manhattan tonight.

Last week, protestors flooded the streets of New York when a Ferguson grand jury decided not to indict police officer Darren Wilson in the shooting of Michael Brown, and on Wednesday night (Dec. 3) they marched again. This time they were protesting a grand jury's decision to not indict the police officer responsible for Eric Garner's death.

The Staten Island man died in July when he was put in a chokehold, and throughout Manhattan tonight, there were chants of "I Can't Breathe."

‘Disgusting News, Again’: Celebs React To New York’s Eric Garner Grand Jury Decision

Protestors began in Union Square around 6 p.m. and marched north towards Times Square. By the time they reached Radio City Music Hall, the cops had barricaded the streets, and it was almost impossible to move in some areas. They eventually continued to march and shut down the West Side Highway, and some squabbles broke out between cops and protestors, although things had been peaceful earlier in the night. Multiple protestors were arrested.

Below are photos and videos from the scene.

Radio City Music Hall was a mass of protestors and cops patrolling the barricades to keep them out of the streets.

Nadeska Alexis/MTV


A majority of the signs read "Eric Garner," "I Can't Breathe" and "Black Lives Matter."

Nadeska Alexis/MTV


The sidewalks close to Rockefeller Center's Christmas tree lighting ceremony were flooded with people.

Nadeska Alexis/MTV


People of all ages and races were carrying signs and leading chants.

Nadeska Alexis/MTV


The chants were loud, and some cops looked on stone-faced, while others answered questions for people trying to make their way through.

As protestors filtered into the streets and marched uptown, taxi drivers showed their support by honking and holding up their own signs.

When the march reached the West Side Highway, near 47th street, protestors flooded streets and shut down the highway.



Police attempted to calm things down but protestors still remained in the streets.



Some protestors and police officers clashed and arrests were made. Tensions were definitely growing higher as it got later in the night.


Even quiet streets were littered with signs.



Learn More About Racial Bias And Discrimination At