"I would just like to take a moment to, like, thank the Academy," Jason Mitchell, who portrayS Eazy-E in Straight Outta Compton, said from the stage on Saturday. Except he wasn't at the Academy Awards. He was at the 2016 MTV Movie Awards.
"I mean, MTV. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. My bad!"
The actor was lightheartedly referencing the lack of recognition that the biopic received at this year's Oscars. But the film certainly wasn't overlooked at the Movie Awards, where it took home the True Story award, presented by Kendrick Lamar, dedicated to movies based on -- you guessed it -- true stories.
The movie beat out some stiff competition: It topped Concussion, starring Generation Award recipient Will Smith; Joy and Jennifer Lawrence; The Big Short and its star-studded cast; and the Leonardo DiCaprio-led The Revenant.
But there's something symbolically beautiful about that: The biopic tells the story, after all, of N.W.A, the rap group from Compton, California, beating the odds -- rising out of poverty, creating a movement and contagious energy, and taking hip-hop, music and America by storm.
This rounds out quite a weekend for N.W.A, and Compton-born MC Kendrick has been there for the ride. Not only did he present the guys from the cast with their award tonight, but he was in Cleveland on Friday to introduce the movie's real-life players -- Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, MC Ren and DJ Yella -- for their enshrinement in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Check out this year's Golden Popcorn winners celebrating:
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023