Can we talk about how Alex Newell is kind of having a moment right now? Because Alex Newell is kind of having a moment right now.
The singer, best known for playing Unique Adams on "Glee," just released a cover of Robin S.'s iconic house classic, "Show Me Love," in collaboration with Russian DJ Matvey Emerson, aaaaaaaaaaaand it's amazing.
A renewed interest in '90s house music has been happening for a while now -- Katy Perry's Prism track "Walking On Air" is a prime example of how the house revival's been integrated into the pop mainstream. And remember Kid Ink's DJ Mustard-produced "Show Me" from last summer? That track actually interpolates "Show Me Love," in case you didn't know.
But Alex's talent hearken back to the masters of the genre -- Robin S., CeCe Peniston, Martha Wash -- in a way I haven't quite heard in this wave of house revival. It takes a certain kind of vocal excellence to produce ballad-level vocals over a frenetic dance beat, and Newell has totally got it.
For further proof of his flawlessness, not that you need it I hope, check out his Blonde collaboration, "All Cried Out," from earlier this year.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023