With Reporting by Josh Horowitz
Whether it's called "King Kong," "Skull Island," or even "King Kong and the Skull Island Family Band," the title doesn't change the fact that Golden Globe winners J.K. Simmons and Michael Keaton have a hot date with the legendary ape.
Simmons and Keaton, along with "Avengers" villain Tom Hiddleston, are the stars of Legendary's upcoming King Kong movie, currently going by the name "Kong: Skull Island." For his part, Simmons isn't still entirely sure what to call it.
"It'll have something about King Kong and/or Skull Island in the title," he told MTV on the Golden Globes red carpet, not long before winning the Best Supporting Actor trophy for his work in "Whiplash."
But even if he's not certain about the title, Simmons is sure about the film's location: Detroit, Michigan. According to the actor, "Skull Island" takes place, at least partly, in Detroit in 1971.
"It's where I grew up," he said, "and we're going to shoot in Detroit during baseball season, so I'll get to go to Tigers games. There's a lot to like about [making] this movie."
Beyond that, Simmons' lips are sealed, other than to praise director Jordan Vogt-Roberts as "passionate and so smart [with] such an interesting new take" on the King Kong mythos. In fact, Simmons wasn't even entirely sure if Keaton's casting in the film was official just yet. In speaking with MTV, even Keaton was tight-lipped about his involvement in the project, only allowing himself to shower praise upon Simmons, comparing him to actors like Jeff Bridges and Kurt Russell.
"He's so great," said Keaton. "It's impossible for him to be bad. There are so many people who are incapable of being bad… I, on the other hand, have been bad a few times."
Exactly who Simmons and Keaton are playing in "Skull Island" remains to be seen, but we'll find out for sure as the movie marches toward its March 2017 release.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023