Bane: Mercenary. Revolutionary. Style icon?
It would appear so, based on a recent article on British GQ's website. The gentlemen's magazine couldn't help but obsess over the dangerously fashionable, shearling overcoat that Tom Hardy wears in several of the on-set pictures from "The Dark Knight Rises. (It's the one with the wool collar that he wears before detonating the stadium explosions in the trailer.)
As it would happen, the style of Bane's coat is currently on-trend, so GQ sought out the Academy Award-winning costume designer responsible for the coat.
It took Lindy Hemming over a year to design and make the coat. "We took inspiration from a Swedish army jacket and a French Revolution frock coat and amalgamated the two," said Hemming, who previously worked with Christopher Nolan on "The Dark Knight" and "Batman Begins."
The overcoat turned out to be harder to make than originally thought. "It was a pain to have made, because in LA shearling is not their sort of thing: there weren't the tailors who could work with the fabric," Hemming told British GQ. "It's funny: as soon as it was finished, GQ did a feature about shearling coats, so it looked like I had copied you!"
Meanwhile, Bane's adversary in "The Dark Knight Rises," Bruce Wayne, will be hitting Gotham in equally fashionable threads. "Christian Bale was in Armani in the last film and I used Armani again for character reasons," Hemming said. "Bruce Wayne is himself playing a part: that of a wealthy man who owns an enormous company and so a luxury brand like Armani seemed the right choice."
Wayne's crime-fighting alter-ego will see a few upgrades, but what those are exactly, Hemming can't say. "There's very few changes [to the bat suit]. The only modifications are to do with the story. But I can't tell you what they are…"
Perhaps a neck brace?
What do you think of Bane's clothes in "The Dark Knight Rises"? Let us know in the comments below and on Twitter!
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023